Author Topic: John Potter (1779) black ancestor  (Read 8516 times)

Offline rubymelia

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Potter (1779) black ancestor
« on: Tuesday 20 November 18 22:57 GMT (UK) »
I have recently discovered my ancestor John Potter (1779-1830) Chester was of black descent. He was married to Frances Fisher (1782-1841) Chester who was of white descent. I am so curious to find more about John's origins but unsure where to look?
Another family member has done the ancestry DNA testing and has discovered that we have Potter relations in the British Virgins Islands, is it a possibility John could have emigrated from there?
Or is there a possibility John could have taken on his name from a slave master ?
Again, I'm so curious to find out more so any help or points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Potter (1779) black ancestor
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Related threads:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=802593.msg6605487#msg6605487
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=802593.msg6605118#msg6605118

I would say that without any clues from your end you are likely to be looking for a needle in a haystack.

If you have DNA Potter cousins in the British Virgin Islands your John or his forebears may have been born there, so have you investigated to see if records were kept at that time? I know virtually nothing of the history of the place and it's peoples so can't help you, but I did read that slaves were brought from Africa to work there, so John's ancestry will probably lead to Africa.

Even though the ethnicity results are not necessarily accurate, did your family member's DNA show any African origins?

FTDNA are doing a half price sale until tomorrow, so you might like to take their Familyfinder test yourself, but you'll have to be quick.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 04:20 GMT (UK) »
My transcription from an image of a baptism in the register of/for Garston, St Michael and uploaded to a commercial family history website...

Toxeth Park

John, Son of Jno Potter, Husbandman and Anne, his wife was born Octor 2nd and baptized October 24th 1779.

So it seems that John's parents were likely to be tenant farmers in 1779 

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/ToxtethPark

nothing to show the baby was born outside of Toxteth Park or its surrounds.... Certainly nothing to show baby was born 'overseas'  :)

JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Did you contact the author of that article in the Chester Canal Heritage Trust newsletter to find out why he thinks your ancestor John Potter was " a coloured man" ?

http://www.chestercanalheritagetrust.co.uk/Documents/CCHT%20Newsletter%20June%202014.pdf

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Has your family member who took the DNA test contacted the Potter matches who live in the Virgin Islands?
Are they black, descended from black people or know anything about their heritage?

How close is the match between these Potters and your relative?

What is the estimated relationship according to the testing company?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 10:42 GMT (UK) »
My transcription from an image of a baptism in the register of/for Garston, St Michael and uploaded to a commercial family history website...

Toxeth Park

John, Son of Jno Potter, Husbandman and Anne, his wife was born Octor 2nd and baptized October 24th 1779.

nothing to show the baby was born outside of Toxteth Park or its surrounds.... Certainly nothing to show baby was born 'overseas'  :)

JM

Could Ann have been the black/'coloured' person rather than the father?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Toxeth Park

JM

ruby,

It might be worth looking for other children born to this couple.

I did not bother re-reading your other threads relating to John Potter, but I agree with Shaun that if you haven't already done so, you should make a concerted effort to trace the author of that newsletter article to see where he got the information/quote about John being "coloured". The original source, whatever it was, may contain some more information.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »

Toxeth Park

JM

Is this definitely the baptism of the John Potter in question?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 12:41 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth looking for other children born to this couple.

I had a quick look before I posted my message, Ruskie, but couldn't find any. My search wasn't thorough so I support your comment re looking for other children - not just in Lancashire but in the West indies, for e.g.  Also, maybe a will for John Potter, snr.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***