Author Topic: Strudgeon/ Strogen marriage to Ann Dunbar  (Read 3968 times)

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
Re: Strudgeon/ Strogen marriage to Ann Dunbar
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 22 November 18 22:32 GMT (UK) »
WOW

What can I say. As Always Rootschat comes up trumps.

I am afraid you have all given me so much info etc. I cannot take it all in, so I am going to print it all off to study.

Here is what I am sure off.....

The 1901 and 1911 census' are correct for the Culkin family. I have traced them from their daughter Ellen, born 13/12/1896 and this is the date of birth she gave in Yorkshire on the 1939 Register (I am doing this for a Christmas gift, for her great great grandson, born in May )

I have Michael Culkin and Eliza Strogen's marriage 20/02/1878 from the rootsireland website It took place in the Parish of Attymass, Mayo.

Hallmark...

You ask where I got the surname Dunbar, for Anna, and I have to admit, it came from a family tree, built on A*******. I Always check this kind of information. After doing this for 4 days I realised that someone was very wrong in their research....and I did not know where to start again, my head was in a whirl.
Now ,thanks to everyone, I can get it together again

Many Many Thanks everyone.I will now look properly at your replies,and start again......

It is getting so close to Christmas now,and I do want to get this tree finished and printed.

JeannieR 
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 22 November 18 23:33 GMT (UK) »

Hallmark...

You ask where I got the surname Dunbar, for Anna, and I have to admit, it came from a family tree, built on A*******. I Always check this kind of information. After doing this for 4 days I realised that someone was very wrong in their research....and I did not know where to start again, my head was in a whirl.

It is getting so close to Christmas now,and I do want to get this tree finished and printed.

JeannieR

:o

Well my advice is to keep your tree Private if you have it online.... Stops others from taking your tree  and "adding" to it
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 23 November 18 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark

I totally agree with you. I do have a very extensive tree, and it is public. People have added my tree to theirs, regardless. However, I have been contacted by quite a few people, who have turned out to be descendants of my great grandparents, and I have gleaned a lot from them, so it has worked really well for me. I have worked so hard at my research, in the early days I could not have even got of the ground without Rootschat. My parents divorced when I was 3 years old,and I never knew any grandparents, so I am very proud of what I have achieved. If I am not certain though,it do's not get added to my tree.

I am still working on everyone's input, for which I am very grateful. I THINK I have made a break through......

Many Thanks
JeannieR

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 23 November 18 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark

Thank you again !!

The link you sent me of the gravestone of Annie Culkin , wife of Thomas, mentions the name of Pat and Ellen Gaughan of Keighley. It is their great, great, grandson I am doing this for. A very, very special baby. His parents will be thrilled, especially his dad.

Brilliant

Thank you

JeannieR

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 23 November 18 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark

Thank you again !!

The link you sent me of the gravestone of Annie Culkin , wife of Thomas, mentions the name of Pat and Ellen Gaughan of Keighley. It is their great, great, grandson I am doing this for. A very, very special baby. His parents will be thrilled, especially his dad.

Brilliant

Thank you

JeannieR

Credit goes to people who took photos and run Website!

I just posted a Link.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 23 November 18 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark

I totally agree with you. I do have a very extensive tree, and it is public. People have added my tree to theirs, regardless. However, I have been contacted by quite a few people, who have turned out to be descendants of my great grandparents, and I have gleaned a lot from them, so it has worked really well for me. I have worked so hard at my research, in the early days I could not have even got of the ground without Rootschat. My parents divorced when I was 3 years old,and I never knew any grandparents, so I am very proud of what I have achieved. If I am not certain though,it do's not get added to my tree.

I am still working on everyone's input, for which I am very grateful. I THINK I have made a break through......

Many Thanks
JeannieR

You can make it Private but findable, which means others get Hints but tree can not be taken!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 23 November 18 09:23 GMT (UK) »
What do you think of these
John Strogen of Thomas Strogen and Mary Jordan of Boyhollagh 1876 note informant Catherine Strogen of Cartron  (parents marriage not found )
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1876/03040/2114374.pdf

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Attymass_East/Boyhollagh/1571006/

1911 married 37 yrs
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Attymass_East/Boyhollagh/698941/

Sarah Culkin to Michael Henry 1908 witness Catherine Strogen
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1909/10011/5640944.pdf

Pension search 1917 in care of Michael Culkin
http://censussearchforms.nationalarchives.ie/reels/c19/007246696/007246696_00582.pdf

she's not obvious on census

Offline Laurenstrogen

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 11 November 19 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

My name is Lauren Strogen, I'm 25 and I live in Ballina, Co. Mayo where all the Strogens are based (now and years ago).

I do not have any extra info that you cannot already find on irish census and record sites.
BUT
I've been researching my family tree for 6 years now. I've hit a complete dead end. There were so many brothers named Thomas, Charles, Robert who all had children with the names Thomas, Charles, Robert, etc. They also married women with the same names e.g. Mary, Ann.
This makes it near impossible to distinguish between the families and who married who etc.
If you would like to contact me and I can pass on any information that I do have. I know of Robert and Annie Dunbar and I am sure that I have information on them somewhere. I remember it took me days upon days to figure out the right Robert and it turns out certain records were wrong with their information.
I hope I can help, even though I am a year late 😂

Warm regards.