Author Topic: Shropshire Parish registers  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shropshire Parish registers
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 November 18 08:36 GMT (UK) »
That was just a catalogue entry, Bronwen. What I was saying was that the records are listed in Family Search, you just search the  FS records in the normal way.  For example, I put one of the records that you listed in and got:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N5W4-7VC

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 November 18 08:52 GMT (UK) »
If you want to get to High Ercall directly, you need to put in the 'Batch Number'

The one for baptisms is P008961

What you need to do is use the left handcolumn and scroll down to the bottom section. Click on the 'Batch Number' choice and a choice will come up. Fill in the batch number and you'll restrict your results to that batch.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 November 18 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Here are the Hight Ercall Batch numbers:

http://www.archersoftware.co.uk/igi/fs-sal.htm#H

Full listings for England here:

http://www.archersoftware.co.uk/igi/fs-eng.htm

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 November 18 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Haven't used that Archer site for searching but it's quite good, once you've found the listing with the correct number, just click on it and a new window appears. You can then just enter a surname and it will list all with that surname for that batch  :)

For example, I clicked on the marriage number for High Ercall and this screen comes up:

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 November 18 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Remember to make sure that you are logged in to Family Search before you use the Archer site for accessing the records  :)

Gadget

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 November 18 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Looking at your initial post, Bronwen, I do not think the Richard Colley you have identified as born in Bridgnorth can be correct. Shropshire is a large county and Bridgnorth is some distance from High Ercall.

Much more likely is Richardus Colly baptised in 1686/1688(year  depends on source) in High Ercall. When searching for this surname do look for variations like Coley or Colly.

Do remember that while without a sub you cannot view the images you can still do a free search on FindMyPast. This is easy to do  and a good way of pointing you in the right direction. This includes records from Familysearch and Shropshire parish records

I would also suggest that you look at wills on  FindMyPast. There is a will for a George Colley in High Ercall in 1682 who could be connected. There is an admin for your George Colley who died 1702. (It is showing as George Colley, Ercall Magna. Ercall Magna is another name for the parish.High Ercall is the largest village in the parish. Isombridge is a tiny hamlet in the parish).

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 November 18 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Many many thanks to both of you for all your help.  I have used Family search lots of times but not in this particular way.  I have seen things in there that are wrong so i was a bit nervous about that.

I will spend much of today (lousy weather here) playing around with this and trying to ascertain the correct people.

Nga mihi
kind regards
Bronwen from the land of the Kiwi
Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh