Author Topic: Mary Pitt c1761 Birmingham  (Read 4025 times)

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Burg Crest Schleswig-Holstein
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Pitt c1761 Birmingham
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 07:22 BST (UK) »
Very grateful

So glad to discover that Walter could be "a very naughty boy"!
Thanks
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 20 August 20 00:42 BST (UK) »
Getting back to Walters' missing baptism.That his sisters were baptised as teenagers suggests to me that they were also preparing for their Confirmation. Walter either missed out altogether or else his baptism may have been even later - around the time of his marriage to Fanny Flinn Oct 1887. Some Vicar's would insist that both parties to marriage be baptised, even though the Rubrics more usually said one of the parties.
Just an idea.
David
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 14 November 20 01:32 GMT (UK) »

Samuel Wethers   Born about 1769   Burial 13 May 1834   Edgbaston, St Bartholomew

Samuel Withers   Baptism   1 Aug 1769   Birmingham, St Martin   Samuel & Mary

Joseph Withers   Baptism   29 Jun 1776   Birmingham, St Martin   Benjamin & Sarah

Samuel Withers   Baptism   13 Oct 1738   Birmingham, St Martin   Benjamin

Benjamin Withers   Baptism   20 Jan 1740   Birmingham, St Martin   Benjamin
Benjamin Withers   Baptism   14 Jan 1746   Birmingham, St Martin   Benjamin

I guess Samuel & Joseph were cousins.

Colin

Having rechecked my notes I now find myself in more of a tangle.
Are there three Benjamin's having three wives, or two Benjamin's with different wives or only One Benjamin but with three wives?

I realize this is the problem of registrations not having the sort of detail we have today. Everybody married at the age of "23". And Yes, I do understand that that merely indicates they were old enough to marry without parental permission.

These come from FamilySearch:
There is the Benjamin above, born c1711-1713 who married Mary Weston and had those seven children (Elizabeth was born prior to the marriage in 1730).

Then there is a Benjamin who with an Elizabeth Noname had three children: Mary WITHERS (1753-1753),  Joseph WITHERS (1758-1761), and John WITHERS (1764-1766?).

Thirdly there is Benjamin who with Sarah Noname and had six children. Benjamin WITHERS (1778-1778), William WITHERS (1779-1789?), Benjamin WITHERS (1781-1781), Thomas WITHERS (1784-1785?), Sarah WITHERS (1787- ) and Joseph WITHERS (1772-1778).

I also have the Will of Joseph Withers who died 1730 (Probated 1761) in which he leaves his estate to Katherine his wife, his son Joseph his son Benjamin and his daughter Sylvia. He describes Isaac Pedler and John Withers as his friends.

With many thanks in advance for helping me untangle these people.

David ??? ???