Author Topic: William Issac CARRUTHERS, born 1893 in Newcastle  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Issac CARRUTHERS, born 1893 in Newcastle
« on: Wednesday 21 November 18 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I've started to research my GG Uncle, William Issac Carruthers but am struggling a bit.

I've found a newspaper report in the Journal from August 1917:

Mrs Carruthers, 35 Noble Street, Newcastle has been informed that her husband, Pte W Carruthers has been gassed and severely wounded and is in hospital in Netley. He is a son of Mrs Carruthers, 161 Meldon Street, Newcastle.

I've found he was in the Northumberland Fusiliers and that at some point he moved to the KOYLI and was discharged because of being gassed, I'm now looking at his home life.

I think he was married to Mary Jane HALL in Q4 1915 somewhere in Newcastle but the only 1939 register I can find that looks like him has his wife named as Margaret. I think he died in Hexham in 1952.

Can anyone help tell me anything more about him?

Thanks a lot,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Issac CARRUTHERS, born 1893 in Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 13:33 GMT (UK) »
From Free BMD.

Marriage. William I Carruthers/Margaret I Robson. Hexham Sep 1922.

The death of a William Isaac Carruthers, age 45, (b 1893), was registered in Durham North Western in Dec Q 1938. I wonder when the 1939 register was actually compiled.

I think the 1952 death (age 75),  may be William Isaac Carruthers, born 1877, Penrith district

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Looks to me that he married Sarah CHARLTON 1904 and Margaret I ROBSON 1922 Hexham.
Death Reg 1920 Hexham, Sarah CARRUTHERS age 40

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Ooops mucked that up, ignore 1904 Marriage but that was a William Isaac Carruthers

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I think he died in Hexham in 1952.

I can only see one William I Carruthers death in Northumberland in 1952, and he was aged 75, so born c. 1877 rather than 1893  :-\

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot for the help everyone, so basically everything I thought I knew about him is wrong  :-\

He was really difficult to trace on the military side as well, maybe it's time to start from scratch with him.

Thanks again,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 13:52 GMT (UK) »
The death of a William Isaac Carruthers, age 45, (b 1893), was registered in Durham North Western in Dec Q 1938. I wonder when the 1939 register was actually compiled.

29 September 1939.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 14:18 GMT (UK) »

the only 1939 register I can find that looks like him has his wife named as Margaret. I think he died in Hexham in 1952.

A couple of points:

The one you refer to in 1939 is entered as William Carruthers (i.e. no middle initial).

A bit of fiddling on the free index to the 1939 reveals that the one you have identified was born in March of that year. However the birth of your William Isaac was registered in the Oct/Nov/December quarter of 1893. Of course there is always the possibility of a late registration.

My feeling is that the person you've identified in 1939 isn't your man  :(

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jen, I think you're right.

I know the start point is right and that I have the right soldier, it's everything else I've got wrong.

Michael