Author Topic: William Issac CARRUTHERS, born 1893 in Newcastle  (Read 4119 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Issac CARRUTHERS, born 1893 in Newcastle
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 19:38 GMT (UK) »
When my next rota comes out I will see where I can fit a trip in to the archives and I will look up the 1889 marriage in full for you and I will make some attempt to find the 1915 marriage looking at the closest Churches.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline SimonPrid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shiny1, I just came across this thread while searching for information on my grandfather, who I believe is the William Isaac Carruthers born in 1893 that you mention here. My grandmother was Mary Jane Hall (known as Jenny/Jennie), my mother was Lilian (b.1924) and my aunt was Vera (b. 1920). They moved to London some time after William died, but by the end of the war were in Bournemouth, where Mary Jane remarried. Hope this is useful. Do you have details of William's mother and father, by any chance?

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon,

Great to hear from you. Yes I do, his parents are my great great grandparents, James Carruthers b. 14 Feb 1870 in Gateshead and Mary Ann Bagg b. 2 Feb 1873 in Newcastle.

Do you have any details about Vera? My grandmother was called Vera but not with a 1920 birth.

I'll send you a PM tomorrow.

Bye for now,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael and Simon  - and Welcome to Rootschat Simon!

Just for info,

The Personal Messaging system requires that the poster needs to have made 3 posts to be able to send and receive PMs. So Simon would have to reply to this thread a couple of times for Michael to be able to contact him via PM.

Boo

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boo,

Thanks for that, and for the message about his post as I didn't get a notification. In my excitement to reply I didn't spot that Simon was a new member.

Welcome to the forum Simon, as Boo said you'll need to post a couple more comments before I can send you that message.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline SimonPrid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 07 January 21 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, Michael and thanks for the intervention, Boo.
My aunt Vera subsequently married a Mr. Billett and they had one daughter. Lived in Bournemouth for the rest of her life.
Cheers,
Simon

Offline SimonPrid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 07 January 21 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Mary Jane subsequently married a man named Masters. Growing up, our generation (myself, brother and cousin) was told nothing of our mother / aunt / grandma's northeast background, nor did we ever visit any northeast family. They executed something of a reinvention exercise. I notice you wrote earlier about the family being "elusive". That was always our impression too.
Cheers, Simon