Author Topic: William Issac CARRUTHERS, born 1893 in Newcastle  (Read 4099 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Issac CARRUTHERS, born 1893 in Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Electoral rolls for the 1920s have a William Isaac Carruthers living in Meldon Street - many have a Jennie Carruthers also in the household.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 16:09 GMT (UK) »
From 1931 to 1935 William Isaac and Mary Jane Carruthers are at 118 Meldon Street, not there in 1836. Coincidentally my wifes grandparents are next door at 120 in that time, her father was born there in 1934. Her grandmothers sister and family were at number 116 so the Carruthers family were sandwiched in between the two.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I note that an Elizabeth Hall is also recorded at 118 Meldon Street in the 1932 register of electors.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once again for the help everyone.

Alan, wow! What's the chances of that, our relatives were probably friends.

I've re-read all of the posts and to be honest I keep going round in circles, William is just really confusing, so I've tried to start from scratch based on what I know for fact. Please double check and feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

William is single and living at 163 Meldon Street in Newcastle on the 1911 census and then the newspaper in 1917 talks about his wife getting the news, again in Newcastle, therefore we are looking for a marriage between 1911 and 1917.

I've looked on Family Search and the only Newcastle wedding I can see for anyone called William I Carruthers between those dates is to Mary J Hall in Q4 1915.

There is a marriage between William Carruthers and Jane Adams in Q2 1915 in Gateshead so that is also a possible.

Having searched the 1911 census there is a Mary Jane Hall born 1885 who is single and living in Elswick and who's mother is called Elizabeth, could this be her?

I think I may have to look in Newcastle library and see if I can find a register with their parents names on to confirm if this is right or not.

What does everyone think?

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 21:08 GMT (UK) »

There is a marriage between William Carruthers and Jane Adams in Q2 1915 in Gateshead so that is also a possible.

Michael

There's a family tree (a bit sketchy) an Ancestry which suggests this William was b c1885 so quite possibly not yours. A number of children are identified.

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mabel, I'm fairly sure mine was born in 1893 so that may rule this wedding out.

Thanks for checking.

I really appreciate all the help I've had with this.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 November 18 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I've kept digging at this and have found a few new bits which I've tied with some of the information people here have given me.

I now ave his military pension card which gives his discharge address as 35 North Street, that may be the same address as the newspaper article from 1917 which was very faded so not Noble Street at all.

The card has a second address of 161 Meldon Street (his mothers address) which according to the Newcastle Electors Roll is where he was in 1919. Frustraitingly there is not one that I can see for 1918.

Finally his pension card has 161 crossed out and the number 30 written under that.

As William and Alan pointed out according to the Newcastle Electors rolls he lived at number 30 Meldon Street from 1920 until 1929 and in 1926 the name Jennie appears on the register along with the letters HO meaning Husband's Occupation implying they are married.

In 1930 he moved to 118 Meldon Street and stayed there until 1935 along with Mary Jane who had the letters DW next to her again meaning Husband's Occupation, again implying they are married.

Finally the card has a date written right across the front in red pencil which appears to be 24/5/34 but could equally be 24/8/38 and what appears to be the word deceased above it, again it's difficult to read.

As Brentor Boy pointed out there is a death registered in Q4 1938 in Durham which could fit.

So, here's what I'm wondering:

Could he have married Mary Jane Hall in 1915 and lived in North Street. When he left the army they have split up and he's moved home with his mother.

In 1920 he has married Jennie and moved into 30 Meldon Street.

They have split in 1929 and he's then either got back together with the original Mary Jane or married a third person who happens to also be called Mary Jane.

There's always the possibility that they never actually divorced and he and Jennie were never actually married?

Finally could it be that in 1935 he has become to ill to be at home and has gone into a nursing home in Durhan where he died in late 1938.

What do we think? A touch of Grimms Fairy Tales or a possible explanation?

Thanks a lot for all the help,

Michael

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 November 18 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if you are over-complicating the marriage situation  :-\

Mary Jane might have been familiarly known as Jennie and appeared as such on the Electoral register.

Is there any evidence of a marriage to a 'Jennie'?

As you know Jennie is a common 'pet' name for Jane. My aunt was Edith Jane, but always known as Jennie in the family.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 23 November 18 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,

I like the sound of that and hadn't realised Jane and Jennie could be one and the same person, thank you very much.

Michael