Author Topic: William James Dickson Walker, b Tyrone c1855, buried Benburb May 1926  (Read 2292 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William James Dickson Walker, b Tyrone c1855, buried Benburb May 1926
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Why in 1901, the family was clearly split up is an intriguing, and somewhat perplexing mystery. I thought maybe illness or estrangement?
Remember that the census shows were people were on just one particular night. In 1911 William Walker, wife Barbara and daughter Norah are in the same household-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Louth/St__Laurence_Gate/Newtownstalaban/571124

The marriage took place in Scotland, as I suspected and suggested earlier-
WALKER WILLIAM JAMES D to PATERSON BARBARA ANN 1884 272/ 49 Arbroath

You can view the registration on Scotland's People for a few credits.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 19:50 GMT (UK) »
 Ah, a clear case of not seeing the wood for the trees :) I had actually identified correctly the Birth of Barbara Paterson in Scotland but got bamboozled by too many Walkers when looking for the marriage. It is annoying when census transcriptions are awry, the actual image is clearly William J D. Quite an achievement for the two women to appear in Two separate census returns for the Same year.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 20:04 GMT (UK) »
It's not unusual for census duplications (my grandmother appeared twice as a five-year-old- once with her parents and also with her grandparents and in a later census her cousin appears 3 times!).

It was very easy to find the marriage on Scotland's People- just put William Walker with spouse Barbara  ;)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 20:34 GMT (UK) »
 July 20 1839   ACHESON-BROWN. On the 9th inst., by the Rev. Andrew Wilson, Dungannon, the REV. JOSEPH ACHESON, Castlecaulfield, to AMELIA, daughter of the late DAVID BROWN, Donaghmore, county Tyrone

https://www.cotyrone.com/marriages/donaghmore.html
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Belfast Newsletter, 27 December 1877:

December 26, by special license, at Livingstone Terrace, University Street Belfast, by the Rev. J.H. Moore, Elmwood, assisted by the Rev. Joseph Acheson, Castlecaulfield, father of the bridegroom, and the Rev. James Glasgow, DD, father of the bride, John Acheson Esq. of Portadown to Harriet Glasgow, Belfast.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Belfast Telegraph, 21 Nov.1872: Acheson and Walker—At linkmen[?] House, Dungannon, the residence of the bride's uncle, on the 20th inst., by special license, by the Rev. C. L. Morell, assisted by the Rev. Joseph Acheson, father of the bridegroom, David Acheson, Esq., R.N., of Castlecaulfield House, to Sarah, only daughter of late William Walker, Dungannon.

Added- father William Walker linen draper, Sarah's residence given as Parish of Drumglass-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1872/11322/8154808.pdf

January 27 1854

Died on the 18th inst., aged 31 years, MR. WILLIAM WALKER, merchant, Dungannon. His native place being Tyrconnelly, near Donemana, he was an elder in the Presbyterian Church

??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I am overdosing on William Walkers. The father of William#1 James Dickson Walker and his sister Sarah was William Walker#2 , woolen merchant /linen draper who was deceased at time of both his children's marriages, and could just about be the William who died in 1854 (WJD Walker's census and marriage entries indicate birth circa 1855). But then who is the William Walker who built a power loom factory in Banbridge in 1865 and was in business with William Waugh of Hazlebank mill (The Linen Houses of Bann valley, Kathleen Rankin, P 53) This same William is quoted in Bassett's 1866 directory as "employing 300 people in the linen industry" ho hum...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 November 18 14:21 GMT (UK) »
A William Walker of Banbridge, linen merchant, died 1889-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1889/06127/4749811.pdf
The Will (with one Codicil) of William Walker late of Banbridge County Down Linen Merchant who died 13 December 1889 at same place was proved at Belfast by Andrew M'Clelland of Banbridge Solicitor Robert Ernest Herdman and St. John Herd both of the City of Belfast Linen Merchants the Executors.
You can read the wording of the Will from the scanned image of the Will book online-
https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 November 18 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

I have just, I believe, proved the exact Walker - Dickson link. Marriage cert of WJD Walker (the Scottish marriage) gives parents as William Walker and Eliza Jane Dickson. A newspaper report on the funeral of the wife of Rt Hon Thomas Alexander Dickson gives WID Walker as a nephew . The marriage cert of William Walker and Eliza (Drumglass Tyrone  17/10/851) shows her father as James Dickson, merchant, Dungannon, undoubtedly the same James Dickson, father of the above Rt Hon as shown in the Family Tree in "Linen houses of the Bann Valley" , making them brother and sister. Eliza J Walker appears as a "retired woolen merchant, widow" in Castlecaulfield, Tyrone, in 1901 census . She seems to have died in Drogheda in 1917 which is where her son WJD ended up after he left Banbridge.

Now to figure out who the other William Walker fits into all of this.