Author Topic: Where and When - in London  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where and When - in London
« on: Wednesday 21 November 18 14:26 GMT (UK) »
It's a good old "Chara'" trip; all the way from Stockport, but where are they (Embankment?) and what date might it be?

I suspect the 1930s and, if so, I can just see my father's cap poking out from behind the bloke with the big hat.

Incidentally, they're all wearing really posh hats so I suspect that its a works trip from Battersby's hat factory.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Where and When - in London
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 14:51 GMT (UK) »
What a gorgeous vehicle! Saw a re-run of a BBC prog on the history of buses recently. They don't make 'em like that any more...

(Sorry - can't help with the location!  :))
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with location but did notice that the trees are very young...

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 16:02 GMT (UK) »
1920s "Charabanc Outing"

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 16:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering about the number plate on the right, which I'm guessing belongs to a different vehicle just behind. If this is a cropped version, does the original confirm that - or show any more of the vehicle?

The registration number looks to me like DB1714 (or possibly OB1714). DB numbers were issued in Stockport from Dec 1903 to Jun 1929; OB in Birmingham Oct 1915 - May 1919. (Info from http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/reg-letters.htm)

If it is a Stockport registration, that suggests to me either that another car went down to London with them, or probably more likely that it was taken in or near Stockport as they were leaving.

Edit:
Subsequent posts suggest it was more likely taken in London, so the Stockport registration may be just a coincidence.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Looks like part of an "hotel" sign top left.

Roger

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi     

The "Chara" was hired from EC1. (Can't read the address on the door of the chara . . . . . 78 . . . . . EC1 ?

If the mention of Battersby Hats is a real possibility then they had offices in "Rosebery" (Roseberry Avenue)  which is also EC1.     

So if the stafff were being picked up by the chara ( at the start of their day out ) then somewhere like Finsbury Square / Nicholl Square / Northampton Square are all pretty close ( others may be available )     

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 16:44 GMT (UK) »
I think the address is 78 Leonard Street, EC2 - certainly still in existence in my A-Z of 1993.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Well spotted but ......

The writing on the vehicle door says “Hire Department - Leonard Street EC2” and it’s unlikely that a bus would have driven to pick them up.

I’m aware that DB (and JA) are Stockport registration marks but I doubt a car would have gone with them. I think the signpost outside Stockport Town Hall says “London 198 3/4 miles” so it’s much more likely that they went by train and picked up the bus at Euston.

All I’ve cropped off is the white border so what you see is all I’ve got.

Why do you say 20’s, Treetotal? My grandfather and mother are sitting next to who I think may be my father. They were married in 1924 & he was born in 1925. From what I can see of “him” he looks about 12 so mid 1930s would be the best fit.

Bear in mind that the latest fashions may have reached Stockport somewhat later than the rest of the world!