Author Topic: Malta Royal Artillery  (Read 980 times)

Offline BoBo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Malta Royal Artillery
« on: Wednesday 21 November 18 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can anybody help me locate the army records of my Great Grandfather Spiridione Camilleri.  He enlisted on the 6th October 1891 and was discharged on the 4th February 1916. I know his regimental number was 1407 and that he is on the medal roll - number of file 5203/2/B but that is all I know.
I think he got married between 1890-1893 as he became a father in August 1894 but I cannot get a copy of the marriage certificate from Malta without either an exact date or confirmation of the wife's name which I hope his army records will hold. I also think that he may not have been a full time soldier if that makes any sense.
I have emailed the Royal British Legion in Malta hoping that they might direct me in the right direction but have not had a reply as yet.
Thanks for your help
UK - Dunn, Lands, Knight, Wickes, Hawkins, Rumbelow, Low & Jolly
Malta - Camilleri, Aguis Delicata, Sciberras & Navarro

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Malta Royal Artillery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 16:16 GMT (UK) »
The medal record you refer to is his Silver War Badge awarded when he was discharged as unfit.  It records his service as a bearer.  The RMA in his time served only in Malta and was not in his time part of the British Army.  There appear to be no records of service at the National Archives.  An email to the Malta Archives would be worth it I think:
 https://nationalarchives.gov.mt/default.aspx

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia