Author Topic: William Stewart(1827) marriage to Elizabeth Shakelton(1830)  (Read 1099 times)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Stewart(1827) marriage to Elizabeth Shakelton(1830)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 November 18 13:30 GMT (UK) »
One marriage worth checking, March qtr 1849, William Steward and Elizabeth Sholt/Shott. Durham County Council site has the surname as Shott.

In 1871 census, William Stewart age 20, Coal Miner born Witton Park, Durham, is lodging with a Shutt family in Brierfield, Colne, Lancashire. Looks to be William and Elizabeths son.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 November 18 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I think that might be the right one. Living next door to the Shakeltons and Stewards in 1851 in Witton Park is a widowed Thomas Stobbart and family.

William Shackleton, age 46, of Witton Park died 1852.

Margaret Shakelton is Thomas Stobbarts wife in 1861 with children from both families.

The marriage on Durham County Coucil website is Thomas Stobbart and Margaret Shutt, formerly Knowles. freereg has the marriage in Auckland District. Dec 1853.

So I wonder who Elizabeths father is.

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 November 18 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wolfie,

Thanks, you have been busy. It will take a while for me to work through all that and it's interesting to see how things may have evolved.

Still no absolute certainty on William's origins though. One thing that has appeared, which makes me think we're working in the right direction, is the Musgrave surname. I hadn't got round to researching that yet but it appears several times in my DNA matches so for it to turn up serendipitously is useful.

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 November 18 15:19 GMT (UK) »
I think the William Steward and Elizabeth Shott marriage is the one to confirm Williams father. I think Elizabeths father is William Shutt. Looks like they just changed their family name to Shackleton when they moved to Durham for whatever reason.

William Shutt, Husbandman, Widower, married Margaret Knowles, both of this Chapelry, 6 April 1828, Colne.

There is a Shutt family in Colne in 1841 with names and ages matching the Shakeltons in 1851:

1841 Spring Gardenes, Great Marsden, Colne,
William Shutt, 35, Farmer, N,
Margaret ", 30, N,
Betty ", 12, Y,
John ", 10, Y,
William ", 8, Y,
Thomas ", 6, Y,
Joshua ", 4, Y,
Sarah ", 10m, Y,
HO107/509/1/47/1

The 3 youngest Shackleton children from 1851 census born within the registration period all have matching births on the GRO in Burnley Union with surname Shutt and mothers maiden name Knowles.

Matching Shutt baptisms in Colne for most of them as well. Including Betty and John, both baptised
22 April 1832, father a Coal Miner, of Marsden Chapel. He's a Coal Miner on most of the other baptisms except Thomas where he's a Carrier.

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 November 18 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Just to add a little bit more then. In 1871, the Thomas Shutt, age 36, who William Stewart, age 20, son of William And Elizabeth, is living with in Colne, appears to be the Thomas Shutt/Shackleton, brother of Elizabeth Shutt/Shackleton, so Williams uncle.

There is a thread on another forum, not sure if  I am allowed to post a link but just Google My Confusing Shutt Family. Poster is 2nd great grandson of Margaret Shutt/Shackleton b. 1844, has posted most of the info I have posted here.

Pointed out that various family members moved back and forward from Colne to Durham, nearly always giving the surname of Shutt in Colne and Shackleton in Durham. He hadn't worked out why.

The Musgrave link is Ann Stewart b. 1832 Bishop Auckland, daughter of William Stewart and Elizabeth Mason, marries Thomas Musgrove. Jane Ann b. 1854 is one of their children.

Alan.

Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 November 18 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Definitely adds a new dimension to the Shackleton/Shakelton/Shutt side of things.

Still a lack of info on William

I believe that William was the son of William Stewart(1800, Bishop Auckland) and Elizabeth Mason(1805, Woodlands, Durham)

He in his turn was the son of John Stewart/Stuart(1738, Selkirk) and Patience Brown.
John had a twin brother , James.

Their parents were, I think, James Stewart(1710/12ish, Selkirk) and Isobel Dickson.

John 1738 made the move from Selkirk to Bp. Auckland

It would be good to try and get more evidence than I have to make this all hang together better. DNA and the occurrence of certain surnames suggests this is correct but it's a little tenuous.