Author Topic: Improving images of Census returns or other documents  (Read 737 times)

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Improving images of Census returns or other documents
« on: Wednesday 21 November 18 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
As many people have I have images of census forms that are indistinct.  I am not sure whether the original document is faint or the photos taken are not of the best quality.  I have downloaded many images and entered the information on the relevant people in my tree but when I go back and look at the images again some are very hard to read.   I have found lots of information online about improving photos of people etc but I am struggling to find information about improving images of handwritten documents.  Can anyone suggest a website where I could learn how to do this?
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Improving images of Census returns or other documents
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 November 18 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Jen.

With my images I prefer to leave the original and, when they are hard to read, do a transcription after the original.

However, if you want to clean up the original image you can do it with the same basic tools you would use for the image of a person. In the example below (a snippet of the baptism of my 3X great grandfather) I’ve partially completed an enhancement using only one tool: the clone tool. I did three things with it: (1) cleaned it up by cloning the cleanest parts and replacing the dirty parts; and (2) in the cases of “McFarlane” and “Kinloch” and “bapt’d” cloning parts of those names from cleaner examples of the same names (in the same hand) from other entries on the same page, and (3) removing portions of the entries above and below my ancestor’s entry which could confuse his entry.

Of course I would always keep the original as well as the enhanced version for two reasons: (1) the enhanced version is no longer an image of the original; and I might accidentally factually alter the image in my enhancement, mistaking damage/dirt for detail or vice versa.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 November 18 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply
I would always keep the original for the reasons you mentioned.  One or two images are so unclear that it is difficult to transcribe so I was hoping to make the transcribing a bit easier.  Some images seem to be badly taken - if that is the correct way to express it.  I might try looking on another website and see if there is a better image.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 November 18 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Jan, if you can't get a better image you could try posting snips of the unreadable parts on the "Handwriting Deciphering and Recognition" board.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 November 18 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - I will post the census record that I am having a particular problem with if I can't find a better image - I was would also like to be able to improve the images - I am trying to catch with technology.  It keeps the mind active.
Jan