Author Topic: Pritchard & Mack  (Read 1277 times)

Offline bscott75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pritchard & Mack
« on: Wednesday 21 November 18 18:58 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find more information on my Great-great-grandmother Janet Pritchard.
She was born in Lanarkshire in 1836.
She arrived on Bute sometime in 1868/69 and worked as a servant in Rothesay and Kingarth, (and on Ballochmartin Farm on Cumbrae for a while in 1880/81).
She had an illegitimate daughter Margaret in 1870, and illegitimate twins Jessie and Jeanie in 1872.
She married James Mack in Rothesay on 3 March 1890. He was a widower with at least three children, named James, John and Jessie.
They lived at 104 Montague Street for several years, and also at 36 Bridge Street, where she died, on 26 April 1909.
Any snippets of information to fill in the gaps will be very much appreciated.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Pritchard & Mack
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Presume you have her parents names from her death cert and have her on the 1841 - 1861 censuses?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 19:15 GMT (UK) »
1881 has the twins living in Lanarkshire and shown as the daughters of Robert & Mary Pritchard.  Robert b 1840 Coatbridge (Robert was her brother)

1841 shows Janet as aged 3 so birthyear 1838
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bscott75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Carole.
I do have information on Janet's baptism, and where she was in the censuses from 1841 to 1901.
She died in 1909 (in Rothesay).
The twins were indeed recorded as the daughters of Robert (her brother) and Mary Pritchard in 1881. He had taken them in and said they were his daughters. Her daughter Margaret was in the Rothesay Industrial School in 1881.
She married James Mack in Rothesay in 1890.
I am hoping to find more information on Janet's history when she was on Bute from approx 1868 until she died in 1909.
Family legend (based on the information given to my great-aunt by a genealogist in the 1960's) has it that her illegitimate daughters were fathered by John Patrick Chrichton-Stuart, the 3rd Marquis of Bute.
I would like to either disprove or prove this story.