Author Topic: Francey/Ayre family in Bellshill or Mossend  (Read 4185 times)

Offline Triplog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Getting there, via the scenic route.
    • View Profile
Re: Francey/Ayre family in Bellshill or Mossend
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 November 18 12:16 GMT (UK) »
SCOTMUM!! I Apologise! I'm often guilty of trying to read too quickly and seeing what I THINK I've seen! Thank you again for your invaluable help and advice. Forfarian - again thank you - I am astounded at the amount of information and number of online sites. I'm also guilty of diving in too deep, finding (i.e. being given!) lots of information and going off at lots of tangents - thanks Scotmum for your advice on that front. The link you provided is very useful and enlightening! Time to slow down, take a deep breath and walk before I run.
Logan, McMaster, Stewart, Ayre, Francey, Bartholomew

Offline Fenc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I'm trying to find details of the parents and children of William Francey (born c1857) and Agnes Ayre (born c1855) from the Bellshill/Mossend area. I can only find death certificates for the two of them so have their parents names also. Offspring names I'm aware of are Rebecca, Joseph, James Robert Lizzie and Mary, but that's all I know about them (apart from James owning the Mossend Bar, 607 Main Street, in 1936). I've attached the relevant death certificates.
Thanks for any help offered

Hi,
Have enjoyed reading these posts. Recognise many names here. You are on the right track .
My grandfather was James Francey who had eight children , all now deceased. Grandchildren, great grandchildren and great great grandchildren about.
Remember my mum's stories about aunts in Ireland(The family all spent time in Ireland -as they had a house there. Before my time, but cousins spent time there) and have a picture somewhere of Aunt Rebecca and Aunt Lizzie standing at a doorway with their "pinnies"on.
The brothers , Uncle Bob and Joe along with James , seemed to live in Scotland whilst sisters remained in Ireland.
Pub long gone. Think there are houses in its place now. Was known as Derby Inn for a long time after it was no longer familys.

Offline Triplog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 January 19 23:54 GMT (UK) »
WOW! That's a bolt from the blue! You'll be a long lost relation of mine then!!! I'm flabbergasted and excited! Can I pm you as I'll probably have photos etc which you can help me with and which may be of value to you?

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 January 19 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Triplog we spoke previously on the Urban Glasgow site you confused me by saying the pub was the Mossend Bar I have never known this pub as anything other than the Derby Inn. It was a very big popular pub in it’s heyday.

www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/news/mossend-pub-calls-time-1-4234395

Offline Triplog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 12 January 19 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Andrew, thanks for coming back. I'm not sure what era you may be talking about, i know when it was in the (extended) family it was known as the Mossend Bar - and certainly had that name up to at least 1960. As mentioned on the Urban Glasgow site I'd love to hear more about it and the surrounding area.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 12 January 19 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Triplog, another 'tangent', but I thought the following father and son links may make interesting (albeit in parts, in respect of Hughie, sad too), reading for you (accuracy might need cross-checked, as they are wikipedia links, but I think on the whole, they seem ok):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughie_Gallacher

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Gallacher

as both were mentioned as uncles of (albeit, I believe in reference to Jackie, it should have read as cousin), a Margaret Gallacher, who married at West Church on 6th June 1945, to William Francey, a son of Mr & Mrs James Francey, 601 Main Street, Mossend.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Triplog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 12 January 19 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello and thank you again Scotmum! I haven't come across a Gallacher to date but I know very little about James Francey's siblings families (I'm waiting patiently and hoping Fenc comes back to me) and 607 to 601 Main Street is only a short danner away so it's all possible! Are you referring to West Church in Ballymena? Also can you help me by pointing to any resources which help relate ancestors to places of abode?

Thanks again

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 January 19 16:51 GMT (UK) »
The West Church would have been Bellshill.

You can view old street maps online, eg https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/272500/659500/12/101098 (just use scrollbar on left of map site to find one closest to year you want),  but you can often also pick up copies of the old Ordnance Survey maps via eBay and suchlike, for c£3. I can see both a Bellshill and a Mossend one listed at moment, albeit for 1935 yr. To get you started and show you the possibilities when using the map site, I have emailed you a screenshot of the section that includes the cottages where you believe your dad was born.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 12 January 19 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Another good site for old maps is https://maps.nls.uk/ which has complete coverage of the first and second editions of the Ordnance Survey six-inch and the first edition of the 25-inch, besides a huge range of county maps, town and estate plans, all free of charge, and the old OS maps can be compared with the satellite view at the click of a mouse.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.