Author Topic: Francey/Ayre family in Bellshill or Mossend  (Read 4189 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Francey/Ayre family in Bellshill or Mossend
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 November 18 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Great collection of records there, Scotsmum  :) Lots for Triplog to follow up there.

Monica

Hopefully it wasn't an overload for Triplog (given I sent some PMs too  ;D ). I noticed they were active earlier, but didn't respond to either our posts or my PMs. Perhaps they are digesting the finds and using the links to discover more, and will post back later.

Perhaps we should have warned them that genealogy is addictive!  ;)
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Triplog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Getting there, via the scenic route.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 November 18 18:11 GMT (UK) »
YES Information overload!!! But in a great way and I thank you all. I've been out of the house all day, heading out tonight and at a family wedding tomorrow (and I'll be asking for a copy of the marriage certificate!!!). Toooo much for me to answer properly tonight and I haven't digested it all fully yet. Tullaghgarley is the old or proper spelling of the Townland (Tullaghgarley Near and Tullaghgarley Far) but is now more commonly referred to as Tullygarley. My Dad and Granny and most of the ones around there simply called it Tullagh. I still have memories of sitting outside on late summer evenings listening to the Corncrakes in the fields around us. In the meantime until  I can answer properly, thank you all so much for your time, patience and expertise!
Logan, McMaster, Stewart, Ayre, Francey, Bartholomew

Offline Triplog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 November 18 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Just had a quick look through all the information given and it fits in (except the Ellen instead of Rebecca!) What has surprised me most is that the part of the family I thought originated in Scotland actually came from here and some moved over there then back again. That's why I wasn't finding anything under the Scotlands People website, that's what I get for my blinkered approach! The Edmonson mentioned as Executor of Rebecca's will is probably a G G Grandfather of my Primary School teacher "Jock" (James) Edmonson. A farmer and part time teacher who had hands like shovels, always wore a cardigan with holes in it and slapped me round my legs the first time I came into his class because he knew all my Granny's family well but didn't know I existed!!! (but a wonderfully gifted teacher who taught us all about country ways and whom everyone loved)
Thank you both once again for your help.
Ian

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 November 18 23:06 GMT (UK) »
my Primary School teacher "Jock" (James) Edmonson. A farmer and part time teacher who had hands like shovels, always wore a cardigan with holes in it and slapped me round my legs the first time I came into his class because he knew all my Granny's family well but didn't know I existed!!! (but a wonderfully gifted teacher who taught us all about country ways and whom everyone loved)

Ian

Sounds like this chap then - you might enjoy a read if you haven't seen it before:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/antrim/A725915_replies.shtml

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline Triplog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 November 18 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hahahaha Thanks Scotsmum that's the man. A lot of the teachers mentioned there taught me and I recognise a lot of the names posting!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 November 18 23:29 GMT (UK) »
So your grandmother, Rebecca Francey was the:

Rebecca   Francy        born   16th August 1881 in Ballymena district (I posted earlier in thread)

who married William Logan in 1903, I guess?

Offline Triplog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 November 18 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes you're right Scotsmum but I only ever knew 2 of my uncles. MonicaL can I ask how you found out that Rebecca went to USA and how you knew where to look to find her death certificate?
Thanks

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 November 18 10:40 GMT (UK) »
As Monica doesn't seem to be around yet, I'll attempt an answer.

Monica possibly ran a parent search at www.familysearch.org .

You need to register for an account, but it is free. Many records they have digitised are then also free, but sometimes only the index is free and you will be directed to another site that will charge to view.

Once registered, you can run a search using parents names only.

In this case, best  adding Ireland to place of birth box, and  Alexander Francey and then just Bartholomew for the mum, in parents boxes.

First few returns should be Rebecca Letson (nee Francey).

Not quite seeing her death record at moment, but Monica will hopefully be able to point you to that.

Meantime, possibly her headstone:. see https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/167254174 .

Ok, update, Monica possibly has a paid for subscription to Ancestry. A quick parent search there in Philadelphia records, returns Rebecca Letson's 1933 death.

Tip:.  as you are new to research, it is a good idea to start by familiarising yourself with which sites are available, which offer free records, and which only offer paid for records. It can be a minefield, but you should soon become proficient at finding the best way through. Once you have exhausted free resources, it can be worthwhile considering a subscription to one of the major sites such as FindMyPast or Ancestry, depending on which might suit your needs best (and of course, cost).Both often have 'taster' style, free trials for short periods, so you can try before you buy.

(ps. I'm s c o t (no 's') m u m  ;D )

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 November 18 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Tip:.  as you are new to research, it is a good idea to start by familiarising yourself with which sites are available, which offer free records, and which only offer paid for records. It can be a minefield, but you should soon become proficient at finding the best way through. Once you have exhausted free resources, it can be worthwhile considering a subscription to one of the major sites such as FindMyPast or Ancestry, depending on which might suit your needs best (and of course, cost).Both often have 'taster' style, free trials for short periods, so you can try before you buy.
See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

For Ireland https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.