Author Topic: Francey/Ayre family in Bellshill or Mossend  (Read 4127 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Francey/Ayre family in Bellshill or Mossend
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 10 February 19 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Triplog and angfran

For consideration.

PRONI have an 1873 will of a William Francy, Tullygarley, died aged 82, that mentions and makes a bequeath to, a grandson, William Francy, son of his son Alexander Francy. Nothing is left to said Alexander, perhaps suggesting he was already deceased. There was an Alexander Francey died in the area in 1869, aged 50 (certificate not yet available to view for free), that may be worth checking..
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline angefran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 10 February 19 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Francey born abt 1835 marriage to Ellen Bartholomew about 1858 having trouble confirming this seems Ellen may also be Rebecca. William & Jane are their children Ive found but based on family knowledge there may be at least 5 others

Offline Triplog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Getting there, via the scenic route.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 10 February 19 14:19 GMT (UK) »
This is all very exciting news! I was getting a bit frustrated as I had hit a few roadblocks. I'd decided to give it a rest for a while and do some work on my wife and my mothers families. On the Francey side it's nearly like there are two parallel families, many similar names but some different, some overlapping dates but other things which don't fit! Doh! I never was good at detective stories!
Firstly - Angefran - great to hear from you. I only knew of an Eleanor Logan who emigrated quite young (sometime before 1927) but her g g granparents were Joseph and Nancy Logan. So you and i have the same g g grandparents!!! I didn't have any dates for them, I only got their names from Wiliam Francey's death registration and didn't know of any children apart from William. I'll message you and get you email address and pass you whatever details I have at present.
Scotmum - at the moment that looks like great information which feeds into my 2 parallel family theory!!! (only joking ). I also have wills for William Francey dated 1873/4 and Rebecca Francey dated 1897. I can't fit them into the tree I have at present because of the dates and some of the children mentioned don't tie in. (but I think it helps with a mystery of my granny's birth (Rebecca) being registered by a Rebecca Francy who is also listed on a census as Mother in law and was born around 1818) I now need to draw out all these additions and try to make sense of them.
Once again - thank you to everyone for your invaluable help.
Logan, McMaster, Stewart, Ayre, Francey, Bartholomew

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 10 February 19 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Earlier in thread I mentioned an "Alexander Francey  born  7th March 1883 in Larne district (out of district but worth checking)" and "William and three of his children were possibly the group at 9, Balgraybank Street, Glasgow, Dennistoun, Lanarkshire in 1901". One of those children being an Alex.

Which sits well with:

Alexander born at Islandmagee was indeed a son of William Francey and Agnes Ayre. In 1903, he enlisted in the Army, giving Islandmagee as place of birth. His parents were listed as next of kin, being William and Agnes, of 2 Down Street, Springburn, Glasgow. He was discharged at Plymouth in 1907, with a view to possible enlistment in the Canadian Royal Garrison Artillery.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline Triplog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 10 February 19 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Scotmum, I had started going back over all the earlier information to try and see if it made any more sense now. I'm at the stage of being slightly overwhelmed now with names and dates which look like they should make sense - but don't!

Offline Triplog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 11 February 19 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Earlier in thread I mentioned an "Alexander Francey  born  7th March 1883 in Larne district (out of district but worth checking)" and "William and three of his children were possibly the group at 9, Balgraybank Street, Glasgow, Dennistoun, Lanarkshire in 1901". One of those children being an Alex.

Which sits well with:

Alexander born at Islandmagee was indeed a son of William Francey and Agnes Ayre. In 1903, he enlisted in the Army, giving Islandmagee as place of birth. His parents were listed as next of kin, being William and Agnes, of 2 Down Street, Springburn, Glasgow. He was discharged at Plymouth in 1907, with a view to possible enlistment in the Canadian Royal Garrison Artillery.

Scotmum, something isn't quite right about this. I have 2 family photographs of the Francey/Ayre family (about 30-40 years apart). In both photos I have had the 3 brothers confirmed as Joseph, James and Robert. There has never been a brother Alexander (that anyone remembers)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 11 February 19 22:46 GMT (UK) »
In this instance, there is absolutely no reason to doubt the existence of Alexander, as the birth and Army records cross reference well with each other. There could be any number of reasons, though, for him not to have been in the photos you mention and/or to have not been discussed by his brothers. It may be worthwhile trying to find what became of him from 1907 onwards.

This death would certainly be worth checking:

FRANCEY
ALEXANDER
625/3 213
Bellshill

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Proof positive of the existence of Alexander.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Triplog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian - thank you, I have that registration document. I never doubted the existence of Alexander (and I apologise if it was read that way Scotmum!). It is in relation to our family that I was slightly shellshocked there has never been any trace of him in any of the photos I have, and no mention of him - although to be fair anyone who would have known have all passed away now. I now have to factor in another piece of a big puzzle!
I think I need a 6 foot by 6 foot whiteboard to do a lot of scribbling on now!!!