Author Topic: Campbell's of Londonderry  (Read 1644 times)

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Campbell's of Londonderry
« on: Wednesday 21 November 18 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, hoping that this picture could be enhanced and dated, to possibly show more detail. Far right is my great grandmother, Mary CAMPBELL, nee McAleer, born 1845, far left the young lady is Minnie Campbell born 1868, daughter to Mary CAMPBELL. The older lady is possibly the mother in law of Mary CAMPBELL, just to confuse matters also Mary CAMPBELL. The family folklore is that this was a photograph of Minnie's  graduation, she was a school teacher, she seems to be holding some kind of scroll, also wearing what looks like a gown and hat. The women are also wearing some kind of corsage, maybe shamrock. I don't know the rest of the people, although there is a family likeness to some of them.
I am hoping that with more clarity I can pick up more detail as some of them seem to have their hand on the shoulder of the person in front, such as the older lady and the tall gentleman at the back. Any input would be gratefully received.

Regards Daisy

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell's of Londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 November 18 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daisy, I don't think I've made much difference to the photo but here is my try. I think when people are putting their hands on somebody's shoulder it usually means they are a couple, so I don't know if that will help with identification.
As you say it does look like a graduation photo, I wonder if it was the fashion to wear flowers on such an occasion.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 November 18 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Wow thank you Pat, I can definitely see the cap and gown. I am trying to narrow down a date, and as the young lady,"Minnie" looks anything from 17 to 20  and her father died in 1890, there is a strong possibility that he is in the photograph, which one to pick is the next dilemma, that's to say this was taken before 1890.
Regards Daisy

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 November 18 20:53 GMT (UK) »

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 November 18 05:10 GMT (UK) »
I am guessing, but I would say this photo is more Edwardian than pre 1890.    :-\ :-\

Those big hairstyles on the ladies and the clothes remind me of photos I have of my family in the 1900s.

The woman on the far right doesn't look 55-60 does she?  or does she?   Are you sure you have the right people - just asking?  Minnie looks too young for this to be her if I am right about the photo being Edwardian. (could be wrong though   ;))

If you add 'dating' to your original post title, it will alert the dating experts.   ;)

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell's of Londonderry please date
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 November 18 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, hoping that this picture could be enhanced and dated, to possibly show more detail. Far right is my great grandmother, Mary CAMPBELL, nee McAleer, born 1845, far left the young lady is Minnie Campbell born 1868, daughter to Mary CAMPBELL. The older lady is possibly the mother in law of Mary CAMPBELL, just to confuse matters also Mary CAMPBELL. The family folklore is that this was a photograph of Minnie's  graduation, she was a school teacher, she seems to be holding some kind of scroll, also wearing what looks like a gown and hat. The women are also wearing some kind of corsage, maybe shamrock. I don't know the rest of the people, although there is a family likeness to some of them.
I am hoping that with more clarity I can pick up more detail as some of them seem to have their hand on the shoulder of the person in front, such as the older lady and the tall gentleman at the back. Any input would be gratefully received.

Regards Daisy

Offline daisy3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 November 18 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you wiggy, I am certain of the birth date for the lady far right, 1845, also her daughter, young girl in the cap and gown, 1868, and as I have later pictures of them  I am pretty sure of their identity. I'm not too sure how to change the title as you suggested, hence the quote being repeated. Thanks for your input, all gratefully received.
Daisy

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 November 18 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Wiggy, it looks Edwardian to me too based on hairstyles and dress.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 November 18 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the confirmation Carol!   :)

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.