Author Topic: Brown baptism West Ham 1939  (Read 1620 times)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brown baptism West Ham 1939
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 November 18 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Do you know the names of Jacqueline brothers or sisters?
Are you sure she was born 1939?

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 November 18 10:01 GMT (UK) »
I have no idea if she had any brothers or sisters, but I think it likely because according to the GRO index, in the period 1925 to 1939 there were no less than 14 births in the West Ham district within a space of 12 years and in one year there were 3 children born in 3 different quarters - so that suggests that there are at least 3 different families (including mine) in the district, all with a father named Brown and a mother maiden name Johnson!!

I thought I might try my luck with the last one to see if any were baptizing in West Ham parish.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 November 18 10:03 GMT (UK) »
West Ham, then a county borough with a very large population, contained many ecclesiastical parishes.
All Saints is the historical parish church, but there were loads more in 1939.

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 November 18 10:24 GMT (UK) »
According to Family Search at that point in time there were two main churches in the parish of West Ham (I'm not sure if the whole of the borough of West Ham was in the district), All Saints and St Thomas with 3 more Non-Conformist ones.

For the moment I want to discount the Non-Conformist ones, because I was asking if anyone could do a quick look up in All Saints or St Thomas please?

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 November 18 10:53 GMT (UK) »
According to Family Search at that point in time there were two main churches in the parish of West Ham (I'm not sure if the whole of the borough of West Ham was in the district), All Saints and St Thomas with 3 more Non-Conformist ones.

For the moment I want to discount the Non-Conformist ones, because I was asking if anyone could do a quick look up in All Saints or St Thomas please?

The parish of West Ham had two C of E churches at that time. I have checked bith from 1939 to 1942, no sign of Jacqueline's baptism.
But her birth was registered in the West Ham registration district, which as I said in reply #7 and Jonw65 has just said covers a lot more parishes than just West Ham.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 November 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
I have no idea if she had any brothers or sisters, but I think it likely because according to the GRO index, in the period 1925 to 1939 there were no less than 14 births in the West Ham district within a space of 12 years and in one year there were 3 children born in 3 different quarters - so that suggests that there are at least 3 different families (including mine) in the district, all with a father named Brown and a mother maiden name Johnson!!

There are none 1935-1938
Remember that before 1935 some of those births would have been in East Ham or in those places split off into Essex south western district.
So the marriage mentioned by BumbleB in Reply #1, James T Brown + Margaret E Johnson, might be a possibility

From the free index to 1939 I can see in West Ham C.B
James T Brown, born 1918
living with George Johnson and 3 more people
Not sure if Margaret is one of them, but I do believe that it is probably her Johnson family.

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 November 18 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking anyway Lizzie. I was a long shot but as that was the only parish in the district (so I'm told by FreeBMD) at the time I thought I would try with the 1939 birth - but no worries, have to find my family another way!

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 November 18 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Jonw65, I seem to have confused you.

I have a marriage in West Ham in 1925 between Florence Johnson and Archibald Heath Brown and I know from looking at 1939 that Florence had two children with her, but as there were 14 births for Brown with mother Johnson in the period 1925-1939 i was trying to get lucky and picked the last one to see if that one was possibly theirs.

So this line of inquiry has failed, i'm afraid, but thanks for trying to help