Author Topic: PAUL CASHMORE NEWTON STREET WEST BROMWICH  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Angela Weston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: PAUL CASHMORE NEWTON STREET WEST BROMWICH
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 February 21 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have just spotted your message from 2018 and hope I may be able to contact you.  I have just discovered that I have the Cashmore family in my ancestry.  It would appear father, grandfather, and all the brothers were involved in the pistol trade and lived at Newton Street, West Bromwich.

Unfortunately I have not yet found a connection with the famous Cashmore gun maker from Birmingham as it would appear many of mine went off in the the Engineer field.

I am amazed that the property is still standing today as much of Langley, Oldbury, West Bromwich I know as been redeveloped over the last few decades - I was originally born in Langley.  My grandmother was a Cashmore.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Sorry  xxorlsxx to take over your query but Angela Weston sent me a pm asking if I could help any more with info on the Cashmores.

Marriage;
05 Aug 1813, All Saints, West Bromwich
James CASHMORE to Phebe GILBERT
Witnesses, Joseph GILBERT/Charlotte CASHMORE
Note; Marriage with consent of their parents.

Info on FreeREG;
www.freereg.org.uk

If you look on there James/Phebe bapt 6 children 1814-1827 including your Paul

1841 we have;
James Cashman   45
Phebe Cashman   50
Paul Cashman   20
Daniel Cashman   15
Edwin Cashman   14
Levi Cashman   10**

*Levi is not on FreeREG but bapt 31 Oct 1830 (Anc.)

JAMES was Bapt 01 Jan 1792 to JAMES/ELIZABETH Casmore (Eliz maiden name TRANTOR)
They married 04 Apr 1791

If you have access to Anc Angela a Tree there seems well researched :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 May 21 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
 I have recently moved into a house on Newton st and after research have found that it was a small arms factory in the 1850s run by Paul Cashmore, as it turns out he designed the pistols for the Royal Irish Constabulary and has connections to whats known as the Daws pistol.
  Does anyone have any information as the trail of my research has gone cold.

Many Thanks.

Three years late to the party but.... there are a couple of Cashmore graves just beyond the main door to Old Church - easy to spot as they're a distinctive 'mummy' shape (may even represent cannon??). I have a photo somewhere but can't locate it at present. I can't recall the exact details as I took the photo some decades ago.

There were one or more Cashmores in the Virgin's End area in the early 1800s (on the opposite side of Old Church to Newton Street but not too far) where there were a number of pistol makers, including my direct ancestor Edward Holland.

Offline Angela Weston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 May 21 12:53 BST (UK) »
Please do not worry PaulStaffs - it is good to hear at any time. 

That is fantastic news re the graves - I had thought that there might be graves there as through research I have discovered that Paul Cashmore and his brother Edwin were Beadles at the local church, and what was called Sidemen, maybe the same. 

A photo would be great ..... if the world opened up I could travel back to see, but I live in France.   

There were indeed many, many Cashmores.  For instance there is a famous William Cashmore of Newton Street, Birmingham who was a gun maker - in his case rifles I think - who exported to Australia.  I have yet to find a link to him. 

My Cashmores were all West Bromwich and bizarrely Newton Street (too) West Bromwich where they had a small ammunition factory producing pistols.  Paul Cashmore won the contract for guns for the RIC and worked with a man sometimes by the name of Pyrse - their guns - which they produced - go under the name of Daws guns which are famous - but Mr Daws only presented and sold them, he did not make them. 

Paul and Edwin I think both had patents for the guns they made.  And Paul presented gun as an award in shooting competitions which were recorded in the newspaper.  One of Pauls sons, also an Edwin, moved to Canada with his family.  I don't know Virgins End, but I have come across an address for Churchfield and for Old Church.

I have come across so many gun makers, even some of the daughters of my ancestors married gun makers - also locksmith - but I see a reference to a lock on a gun, so maybe the same.

I see your ancestor is a Mr Holland..... are we  linked in anyway?

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 May 21 13:23 BST (UK) »
Good news, I've found the photo I was referring to. The only visible headstone in my picture is that of Zillah Cashmore, a 14 year old who died 1828 but from memory the graves either side may be Cashmores as well - especially as they are in this same unusual style - although why the one to the right has 'M.B.' I don't know. Again, they're just beyond the main door to the church if you ever get chance to visit or perhaps someone who lives in that area can take more pics for you. Hope that's of interest anyway.

I've no idea if we are related - what Hollands do you have in your tree?