Author Topic: Robert Ferguson, Greenock, c1800  (Read 5234 times)

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Ferguson, Greenock, c1800
« on: Thursday 22 November 18 12:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching my paternal grandmothers ancestry and I'm stuck on her great great grandfather Robert Ferguson who lived in Greenock and was married to Elizabeth McCallum.
I have Elizabeth Ferguson living on Sugar House lane in the 1841 and 1851 census with sons Daniel, Robert and Duncan, but no sign of Robert.

I think Elizabeth was born in Paisley which it says on the 1851 census, but the 1841 says she was born in England??

Can anybody help me to discover more about Robert and Elizabeth please?

Kind regards

Richard
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Ferguson, Greenock, c1800
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 November 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert and Elizabeth married 1828 in Greenock area There is also a death of an Elizabeth Ferguson other name McCallum in 1868 Greenock who could possibly be her

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 November 18 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks. Yes it could be her in 1868, I don't have her anywhere on the 1861 census or her birth details. Although there is an Elizabeth McCallum born in Paisley in 1800, to a Robert McCallum and Elizabeth Thompson. But not sure if it's a match.
Does the wedding details have their parents name on?
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 November 18 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Official registration in Scotland started in 1855. Entries before this date will be from the Old Parish Registers. All a bit of a lucky dip what you will find on marriage/banns entries in the OPRs. Unfortunately, you don't know until you look at the image on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk Very unlikely though that you will find parents' name on this type of entry. At best, you may find the bride's father's name if you are lucky.

Where you will get details will be from the death cert that Wendy has mentioned. Scottish death certs are very informative and will include partner's name and also names of the deceased parents (assuming this info is known to the informant registering the death).

I assume that the 1851 census shows Elizabeth as widowed?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 November 18 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Richard, some other researchers of this line have included details on the marriage on their trees

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 November 18 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the original image for 1841? The transcript I am seeing also has the boys as born in England. Certainly an error as the boys' christenings all show in Greenock in the OPRs don't they.

The 1851 census does show Elizabeth as a widow (from FreeCen).

If you do find a death or burial entry for Robert in the OPRs, this will not let you confirm his parents' names unfortunately.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 November 18 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth shows as aged 54 in 1851 on her census entry. When eldest son Duncan married in 1873 in Greenock, both parents Robert and Elizabeth showed as deceased.

Again, from others researching this line, from Duncan's marriage lines, mother Elizabeth is showing as having been married before (written up as Elizabeth Ferguson, previously Sutherland, maiden name McCallum).

There is an Elizabeth McCallum married to a Henry Sutherland in Greenock and having children at the right time. Children from this marriage include:

Archibald 1816
Hanah 1819
Elizabeth 1820
Henry 1822

The Banns/Marriage in the OPRs looks to likely be this one:

Hendrick Sutherling and Elisabeth Maccallum
31 Jan 1814
Middle Or New Parish,Greenock,Renfrew

Monica

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 November 18 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Thank you for that.
I have seen the 1841 census where it says they were all born in England?? Which must be a mistake, as I have the birth record for Robert born in Greenock in 1829. And in the 1851 census it says Elizabeth was born in Paisley!!
I have son Roberts death certificate, died from cholera aged 35 on tenth October 1866 and it states that both parents were deceased??? So who is the Elizabeth Ferguson (McCallum) who died in 1868 in Greenock?? 
Kind regards
Richard

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 November 18 21:58 GMT (UK) »
That you would need to check to confirm as you know...it is the only way really

FreeCen are adding content continously. For Greenock, they had now got transcripts from 1841 to 1871 www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

The 1861 census shows a possiblity for Elizabeth, living alone:

Elizabeth Ferguson, 63, widowed, formally washer (fits with her 1851 entry) b Greenock
Address: 37 Nicholson St, Greenock.

Monica