Author Topic: Robert Ferguson, Greenock, c1800  (Read 5247 times)

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Ferguson, Greenock, c1800
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Ahh Yes, I see Annie, thank you.
That is a possibility then.

It's just so frustrating when you hit a brick wall like this
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline hws2018

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 31 August 19 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,  How is your research on Robert Ferguson (1796) going?  I'm a descendant of Daniel Ferguson (c 1831).  I've been trying to get a copy of the 1841 Census and Daniel's Birthdate, but hitting road blocks. I have traced a few of the family.  I trying to find records of Robert's sister Mary, but unfortunately these is also proving difficult.  Helen

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen

So sorry I haven't replied to your comment. I've only just seen it. I didn't even get an email to say somebody had commented...
I've only just seen it because I decided to give the Ferguson branch of my family another chance, but once again I'm stuck, so I thought I'd read this post just in case I had missed anything...

I'm only on ancestry, so I don't have a lot of research material for Scotland...

I don't have much information on the Daniel in my tree born c1830. Do you have a  Duncan Ferguson born 1828, Robert born 1829 (my 3 x Great Grandfather)  and a Donald Black Ferguson born 1831 as Daniel's brothers in your tree@

I also don't have any relatives for Robert c1796? so don't know anything about his sister Mary...

What I've found today on Ancestry is a birth of a Robert Ferguson 12/01/1796 in Greenock West to parents Duncan Ferguson and mother Agnes Campbell.

1841 census for Salmon street Greenock
Robert Ferguson 80 Farmer
Robert junior 40 Grocer
Robert younger 20 grocer
William 30 mct (presume merchant)
James 25 mct
Alexander 20 mct
Jannet younger 40
Madgelan Colcohan 60
Margret Gibson 18 F.S

1851 census for Salmon's green Ferguson house, Greenock West
Robert 56 retired carter
Janet Micklum (this could be McCallum) 78 cow feeder (Roberts aunt).
Alexander Ferguson 36 retired seapboiler

1861 census for 36 Inverkip street, Greenock West
Robert 65 Joiner
Janet Mucklem 85 born in Port Montheth?? Perthshire.

I don't think this is the same Robert in my tree, but the streets are quite close to each other, as is Sugar House lane, where my Robert (born 1829) was living in 1851 (he became a house painter). But his mother was Elizabeth McCallum.
I'm just wondering if Janet Mucklem married one of Elizabeths uncles?? But I don't have any family for her father Archibald...

Once again, apologies for not replying sooner

Best wishes

Richard
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm only on ancestry, so I don't have a lot of research material for Scotland...
See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hws2018

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

I think we are definitely connected.  Elizabeth McCallum is my 3 time great grandmother.  Robert Ferguson (1796- c 1841) was her second husband.  Daniel I now believe is Donald (apparently a common interchangable name).  Robert (1796) died somewhere between 1835 and the Census of 1841, he was a shoemaker (master), this information from Daniel's marriage and death certificates.

House/Ship Painters seems to be the trade Robert and Daniel followed, Duncan was a rope boy in 1851 but disappears from this time. He may have emigrated but so far I haven't found him.

I haven't found any more information on Mary who I found by searching children for Duncan Ferguson (1768 - ?) and Agness Campbell. Duncan's parents were Alexander Ferguson and Jean Silver.

I have a better tree on FamilySearch (free site) which is up to date.  Plenty of Robert Ferguson's in the tree. Daniel's eldest son Robert married an Elizabeth Ferguson (who's father is another Robert Ferguson who was a coal miner).  Elizabeth McCallum is reference K4G2-15G in the FamilySearch tree, I've attached as many sources as I've found.

I'm in Australia. 

Helen

Don't think there is any connection to the Salmon Street Ferguson's.

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian,
I do use Scotland's people now and again. In fact I used it quite a lot during my early research of my Scottish ancestors.
But it started to become too expensive.
So, I see what I can find on ancestry first.
I'm not very clued up.on the free sites, but I'm very slowly learning.
Thank you for reminding me about Scotland's people.

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,
Just seen your comment, for some reason I'm not getting email notifications for all reply's.

Elizabeth McCallum is my 4 times Great Grandmother. My tree comes through Robert born 1829 and his son Daniel born 1854 to Colin Ross who was born 1881.

There is a Duncan Ferguson who married Agnes Blair on 30th September 1873 in Greenock Old or West. It might be worth looking on Scotlands people to see who his parents are??
When I find more information, I will purchase a block of credits for SP and look more closely. I did use SP a lot at the beginning of my research and it was invaluable, but it became expensive and I was only finding out snippets of information with it.

It seems there were a lot of Robert Ferguson's who lived very close to each other in Greenock West in the middle of the 19th century...
It was the Janet Mucklum who made me wonder if she was a McCallum which had been spelt wrong and was possibly a sister in law or aunt to our Elizabeth McCallum.

I'm not too sure how to look for trees on familysearch?

I'm living in England...

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I don't have much information on the Daniel in my tree born c1830. Do you have a  Duncan Ferguson born 1828, Robert born 1829 (my 3 x Great Grandfather)  and a Donald Black Ferguson born 1831 as Daniel's brothers in your tree@
The names Daniel and Donald are used interchangeably in Scotland so Daniel and Donald are probably one and the same person.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian. That info will come in handy in my future searches.

Hi Helen,

I've just looked at my saved records on Scotlands people and Duncan Ferguson is present or named on the death certificate for Elizabeth McCallum. As well as her parents Archibald McCallum and Flora McKeown.