Author Topic: Is it better to have a higher CMs number or more segments!?  (Read 830 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Where did you come from G.Grandad?
    • View Profile
Re: Is it better to have a higher CMs number or more segments!?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 November 18 14:51 GMT (UK) »
What is very interesting is that I share 423Cms with the daughter of one of my cousins.  My cousin's  mother and mine were sisters.  However, 89% England, Wales and Northwestern Europe compared to my cousin's daughter (1st cousin once removed) who only has 2% Great Britain.  I have 6% Ireland and Scotland and she has 24% Ireland/Scotland/Wales.  You would think that with a shared 423Cms, our ethnicity would be much closer. 

I know Ancestry has been updating ethnicity and my cousin's daughter apparently hasn't updated hers - you have to click "Update" on your own DNA page to get the latest ethnicity, so that could make a difference. 

However, I did my DNA with 23andMe too (Christmas present) and the results are very different.  It shows I have 8.1% Scandinavian DNA, Ancestry states 0%, they break their results down differently to Ancestry and the rest is broadly similar.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Martin H. Watson Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246
    • View Profile
Re: Is it better to have a higher CMs number or more segments!?
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 24 November 18 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Familydar, no, mine was definitely for finding relatives, although I was bemused by the suggestion of Greek or even Albanian in me is puzzling.

Martin
Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093

Names:
Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton, Durham & Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & Hartlepool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young, Adamson & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I use GRAMPS v5.0 software. 

My ancestors are probably turning in their graves, not that I can actually find any of them.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.