Author Topic: Is it better to have a higher CMs number or more segments!?  (Read 2335 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Is it better to have a higher CMs number or more segments!?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 November 18 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Just a footnote to the cousin calculation ...it works when common ancestor is actually a married couple

If you only have 1 parent in common you are half siblings ...and so down line ..on the ancestry  DNA  results 1 grandparente in common came out as 2nd cousin for us
1 great grandparent in common as 3rd cousin whereas on chart it would be 2nd cousins  because assumption is that there would be a great grandmother and a great grandfather in common

Hope that makes sense .

Do let us know if you come up with something ...
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 November 18 19:27 GMT (UK) »
I think I've mentioned before that my closest match on MyHeritage must be a grandson of one of my uncles, from external evidence, although he hasn't responded to my emails. He matches me on 22 out of 23 chromosomes, and the biggest single segment is 82.4cM.

One of our mutual matches is the daughter of one of my 2nd cousins, and she matches me on only 6 chromosomes, the biggest segment 47.4cM.

If several people match you on the same branch of your family-tree - i.e. you have some known ancestors in common - does that mean that you should match each other on the same chromosome(s)? It seems to be more random than that.

Harry

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 November 18 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Just a footnote to the cousin calculation ...it works when common ancestor is actually a married couple

If you only have 1 parent in common you are half siblings ...and so down line ..on the ancestry  DNA  results 1 grandparente in common came out as 2nd cousin for us
1 great grandparent in common as 3rd cousin whereas on chart it would be 2nd cousins  because assumption is that there would be a great grandmother and a great grandfather in common

Hope that makes sense .

My half second cousin once removed (her g.gran and my gran were half sisters) is shown on Ancestry as my 4th cousin.  Interestingly we share less CMs than I do with some other matches, but (apart from my son and one of my cousin's children) none of the other matches seem keen on finding out who our joint ancestors are.  Shame, I thought that was the whole point of having your DNA tested.

Offline Braytons

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 November 18 12:02 GMT (UK) »

Hope that makes sense .

My half second cousin once removed (her g.gran and my gran were half sisters) is shown on Ancestry as my 4th cousin.  Interestingly we share less CMs than I do with some other matches, but (apart from my son and one of my cousin's children) none of the other matches seem keen on finding out who our joint ancestors are.  Shame, I thought that was the whole point of having your DNA tested.

Yes I am very diffident about approaching people who are matches.  I am not sure what to write.  It would be different if I had a pretty good idea how we are related but mostly its just the fact that they are said to be a "Very High" match.  Funny isn't it, I was listening to a programme about DNA testing on BBC4 yesterday and they said people want to know if they are descended from Vikings or are related to Alexander the Great for instance!  My motivation is far more banal, just want to know the origin of my Grandmother!

If I come up with something I will let everyone know immediately.  :)

Braytons

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 November 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
In the 6 months since I had my DNA analysed I've learnt a lot about the subject from internet reading, but I haven't tried contacting anybody. I thought I'd sit back and wait for them to contact me. So far I have heard from nobody! Perhaps my relatives and I have similar thought processes! I would reply in a very helpful manner to anyone who contacted me, but as has been said here elsewhere, a lot of the people who have their DNA analysed do it just to get the dubious ethnicity results and aren't interested in contacting relatives.

Martin

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 November 18 13:00 GMT (UK) »
I have contacted several of my closer matches - a couple have replied but most do not.

I agree with Martin that most test only to get their ethnicity results, many don't have a tree (online or otherwise), and don't seem interested. :-\

In my email to them I simply say that they and I have an estimated Xth to Xth cousin match and would they be interested in trying to find out how we connect. If they respond, I give further details.

Only one person has ever contacted me but I'm not really sure why as our estimated relationship was 'remote.'

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 November 18 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps Martin's reply was tongue in cheek, but I have to ask - Martin, did you test just for your etnicity?

With typical British reserve a large number of us will baulk at making the first move (contact) but someone has to otherwise what's it all for?  Like all of you I've had mixed results, some reply with varying degrees of interest, some don't bother (their loss).  I might be a shrinking violet in real life but as far as DNA testing's concerned I've given up waiting for others to contact me - I most definitely take the initiative.

Ruskie - the match might have been remote to you both but it could have been the highest one on your match's list.  I do hope you took the time to reply.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Braytons

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 November 18 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I have contacted several of my closer matches - a couple have replied but most do not.

I agree with Martin that most test only to get their ethnicity results, many don't have a tree (online or otherwise), and don't seem interested. :-\

In my email to them I simply say that they and I have an estimated Xth to Xth cousin match and would they be interested in trying to find out how we connect. If they respond, I give further details.

Only one person has ever contacted me but I'm not really sure why as our estimated relationship was 'remote.'

I am obviously very lucky because the one person I did dare to write to replied almost immediately.  He asked for any names that might be a clue and between us we discovered a link.  His great grandfather married one of my great grandmother's sisters.  What would that translate to xcousin relationships?

Maybe I should give up being a "shrinking violet" and email away!

Braytons

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 November 18 14:20 GMT (UK) »
There are a few that I've worked out which family branch we are descended from, mainly by clicking on View Match and then below that on "Shared Matches".  Unfortunately, they are all from the same branch and I'm not interested enough to pursue that branch.  I have all the information I need and that particular branch and their ancestors can be traced back through history to the late 1000s because at the time they were either Knights or otherwise just very wealthy, so their history is easily accessible on the internet.

I'm more interested in anyone that has a trace of Jewish DNA as I think that is how I will find out the origins of my g.grandfather.  As they tend to be more distant matches and many of them don't even have a tree, never mind the locked or unlinked trees too, I've only found two or three that might be worth pursuing.  I've written to 2 already with absolutely no response.  I'm hoping, eventually, that a much closer match with Jewish DNA will pop up.