Author Topic: James Ball - Donnington Wood  (Read 294 times)

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Ball - Donnington Wood
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 November 18 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the newspapers, there was a colliery accident unfortunately involving a Noah Ball, father James of Mount Pleasant, by the Cottage Hospital, Longton

Staffordshire Sentinel 21 October 1889
First report of the accident and coroner adjourned till 5th Nov.
Noah was at work at the Mossfield Colliery

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 November 18 10:49 GMT (UK) »
At Donington Wood in 1841 (HO107/906/4 folio 6 pg 3)
Richard Ball, 40, S Miner
Ann do, 40
James do, 20, Stone Miner
Ann do, 15
Rich:d do Jun, 12, Stone Miner
John do, 8, do
Sarah do, 2
All born in Shropshire.

Baptisms at Lillieshall:
1820 July 30, James of, Richard & Anne, Ball, Lilleshall, Collier
1839 April 18, Sarah d. of, Richard & Ann, Ball, Donington Works, Collier

Birth registration for Sarah gives a MMN of ROBERTS.

Baptisms at Priorslee:
1823 Sep:r 7th, Mary dr of, Richard & Ann, Ball, Oaken Gates, Miner
1828 Nov:r 10th, Rich:d Son of, Rich:d & Ann, Ball, Oaken Gates, Miner
1830 Sept:r 5th, Ellen Daughter of, , Rich:d & Ann, Ball, Oaken Gates, Collier
1832 Oct:r 21, John Son of, Rich:d & Ann, Ball, Oaken Gates, Miner

Looks like the right marriage at Shiffnal:
Richard Ball of this Parish and Anne Roberts of this Parish were married in this Church by Banns this twenty fourth day of April in the Year One thousand eight hundred and twenty
By me J E Com?per
This Marriage was solemnized between us X the mark of Richard Ball
X the mark of Anne Roberts
In the Presence of X the mark of William Ball
G Duncalfe
Tho:s Amies Clerk
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline eugeer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 February 19 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Andrewalston, ColC, Willsy, thank you all for your information.
Sincere apologies for not responding sooner.

ColC- The possible birth of James in 1817 and marriage to a Mary Tranter ( a name I haven't come across before, so thank you) in 1838 all appear to be in the right timescale, so this looks like the correct people.
I'll have to locate the death certs for the 1818 & 1823 deaths of James & Mary and hope that the informants details show a link to their daughter Emma as confirmation.

Andrewalston-H0107/1998 folio pg3 - is this a record I can get from the GRO site? I'm not sure what it is.
I can't work out where Noah fits in ( if he does? or just coincidence of name?)

The 1861 census showing James, Mary with children  Richard, John,Norah/Noah, Eliza, Emma, Lewis & James, I think this could be an entirely different family.

Although it would have been quite unusual for the James & Mary I have identified to have only had the one child in those days
It's so easy to go off on a roll without verifying.

Would I now be having to dig into parish records to go back further than the 1820's for James & Mary?

Offline eugeer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 February 19 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I have just looked back at the 1891 census only showing  James & Mary with one daughter Emma - The parents are 70+ and their daughter Emma 28 and her daughter sarah aged 5.
Looks like Emma moved back in with her parents with her illegitimate child -Sarah.
I have obtained Sarah's birth certificate and father is unknown, so Emma probably had no choice but to return to her aged parents.

I'll now have to start digging into the other census records and work back, so looks like you are all correct in providing all the other sibling names.
thats a lot of lines to follow now!!  ;D

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 February 19 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Andrewalston-H0107/1998 folio pg3 - is this a record I can get from the GRO site? I'm not sure what it is.

It's the reference for the page in the 1851 census, so the GRO won't have it, but Ancestry, FindMyPast etc. do. The 1851 census is in the National Archives under HO107 (for Home Office). You can fill the other numbers in the search boxes - Piece, Folio and Page.

Would I now be having to dig into parish records to go back further than the 1820's for James & Mary?

Yes, the GRO records only start half way through 1837. FindMyPast have done a deal with Shropshire Archives to put their parish records online, and that is where I've been looking.
There may be additional records at Shrewsbury which have not (yet) made it onto the internet.

I've previously researched others from the Donington Wood area who also moved to the Stoke-on-Trent area, so I knew where to look!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.