Author Topic: Living DNA results  (Read 5302 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Living DNA results
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 November 18 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Wow. That made interesting reading!

Melba, At no time did Gadget or Ruskie encourage others to remove their data from LivingDNA, merely commenting on their particular reasons for doing so, and their problems in doing so. And if anyone is being hostile, I think you maybe looking at the wrong person.

I respect both of their decisions, but decided to wait it out myself. My results speak for themselves.

I will leave my DNA there for the moment, will consider what to do next. I am not at this stage going to upload my husband's DNA there. I am not going to suggest LivingDNA in future posts to those who ask 'Where shall I upload my data to?'  I will stick with the usual Gedmatch, familytreeDNA and myheritageDNA. But testers are welcome to do their own research and decide.

Are you going to recommend them?  Fair enough if you do, your choice entirely.  What results have you had back from them?

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 24 November 18 13:33 GMT (UK) »
It is probably just going to be a waiting game for you Margaret. My OH took an FTDNA Y-DNA test years ago and is still waiting for a decent match. His family history is all English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish as far as the paper trail goes, just seems that all ancestors and their descendants stayed in England/Wales/Scotland/Ireland and none of them have taken Y-DNA tests, hence no matches.

Maybe Living DNA have a small UK based database, hence your lack of matches?

There were a couple of reasons I decided to delete my data from Living DNA:
1. I couldn't find my way around their website and kept ending up on the same page.
2. They were pushing their One World Family thingy and I did not want to be part of that.
3. There was nothing of interest for me on their website.
4. I overestimated (or misunderstood) the value or benefit that uploading my data would have.

:)
I think what you say is fair enough, but you did say
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=801138.0
"This takes me to a scary page asking me to opt in to Family Networks which looks like it requires me to sign my life away. "

this was later followed by accusations that Living DNA's sampling method of getting four grandparents born within a certain area was nonsense by many posters, when this was completely unfair as it is literally exactly what Ancestry and 23andme have done for their own ethnicity estimates for years and involves the same sort of terms of service and data usage agreements. The FamilyNetworks is also exactly the same thing as the DNA matches on Ancestry and MyHeritage, but putting into a visual potential tree format - I believe MyHeritage are planning something similar. Add to that claims of racism, it descended into a hysteria where people wanted to get their data removed which I just found completely unfair on this small UK company, and completely unhelpful for those in Scotland and Ireland who want to have a more specific county by county breakdown of the ethnicity results.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 24 November 18 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Gee Melba, I think you are over dramatising a bit.  ;D

I don't deny other companies do simiar things with similar terms and conditons, but I don't join them either.  :)

Added: Yes, I did find the page requesting all my personal information a bit "scary" and I did not feel comfortable signing up for it.

Added: You exaggerate - There wasn't a mass exodus of people from Living DNA as you are implying  - it was only me and Gadget.  :( 

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 26 November 18 16:25 GMT (UK) »
So I got an email to say my regional results were in.  It's just a bit of fun but I logged on to see what they came up with, no sign of any ethnicity results at all?  Has anyone found it?

H x
Gedmatch kit number: A783595
Linkston, linkstone, Linkson (Scotland)
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)
Mekzsraites (Russia/ Lithuania, changed to Marshall when immigrants to Scotland)
Stevenson (Ireland / Scotland)
Fadian, English, Vesey, Gielty, Gallagher, Masterson (Achill, Co Mayo.)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 November 18 16:35 GMT (UK) »
When I first log in it tells me what tests I have taken and what their status is i.e. complete. Do you get that?

After that then there is a box to tick to view test. Do you have that ?

When clicking the box it gives the option of a video tour. I suggest taking the tour although not essential. If you don't take the tour it takes you to a test homepage.

On the test homepage their are three large icons. One for family ancestry and the other two for maternal and paternal ancestry.

It is on the family ancestry icon that you find the ethnicity stuff (the tour explains this and more)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 November 18 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you David, I was trying to find it on my mobile but no sign, I checked my laptop and found it where you said.

H x
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)
Mekzsraites (Russia/ Lithuania, changed to Marshall when immigrants to Scotland)

Offline squawki11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps Ruskie could let us all know what indecent Y results her OH experienced?
I think quite a few of us who took both Y & Mt might say we're underwhelmed but maybe we were expecting too much? When you consider that Mt genetic distance 0 might cover 1,000 years (I know, there are exceptions) that's an awful lot of female matches beyond the reach of paper records. Possibly similar for Y? A relative started off as R-M269, refined to R-U106, further to R-Z155 and at the latest, shares with 1 other, BYxxxxx or similar...with absolutely no idea how, where or when they connected. The next Y tree may see them parted...
It's quite understandable that more concentrate on autosomal because it can produce more results that connect with paper and is so much more fun to play with, imo. Of course one shouldn't ignore the ethnicity furore: several peas from the same pod and one has an "Amerindian" segment not shared by any other. Yet if the same data is plugged into another "Gedmatch Admixture", the "Amerindian" vanishes! Interesting pictures abound, do try it for yourselves.
On top of that, how about phasing? Check out Double Match Triangulation (DMT) and to hold and control all your data and to save your drowning in speadsheets, Genome Mate Pro (GMP).
I haven't had such fun for ages...I need to get a life, I know, but circumstances dictate...and I'm another waiting patiently for LivingDNA.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 15:29 GMT (UK) »
My LivingDNA results are in today and to say I am underwhelmed is an understatement.

'Keep Fishing! We haven't caught you any matches yet. Finding new relatives means fishing for them in many databases. Spread the word and help turn this fishing pond into an ocean of new matches.'

So, you could say I am expressing my disappointment, or you could say I am spreading the word. Take it whichever way you want to.

Regards Margaret

Email on 22 Nov said 
'We're very excited to share that you are in the next group of users to gain access to our Family Networks beta!', with the previously quoted 'Keep fishing' message on the actual site.

Today's message is slightly different, to say the least!  -

'Hi there,

Thank you for participating in our DNA upload program. Unfortunately, it seems that there was an issue with the data file that you uploaded to us which means that we have not been able to process your DNA. We are eager to provide you with our top-notch regional breakdown, firstly we will require you to re-upload your data.'

They aren't exactly doing themselves any favours by implying that I have matches, when in fact they haven't even processed my DNA after more than 2 months!

I wonder if I am the only one in this situation. Are the regional results worth waiting for, davidft and Hmootm?

Regards Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Oh no, how annoying  :(

My regional results were similar to ancestry but ancestry are more detailed. Ancestry said I was 72% Ireland/Scotland and pinpointed my dna to county mayo in Ireland which is actually where my maternal side are from.  Living dna just said I was 98% European and 69% of that was Ireland/Scotland, no further details. 

H x
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)