Author Topic: Living DNA results  (Read 1683 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Living DNA results
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Are the regional results worth waiting for, davidft and Hmootm?

Regards Margaret

Hi

As you know I am a bit of a sceptic regarding all this ethnicity DNA mapping. However that said interestingly enough the regional results I got from LivingDNA are the ones I can most make sense of!

I would say hang on in there they may come good.

I know there has been a fair bit of LivingDNA bashing going on, on here recently and whilst I have my reservations about them as has been expressed in the past I keep faith with them as they are an alternative to the big four of Ancestry, MyHeritage, ftDNA and 23andme. The way I look at it the more contenders we have the more likely they are to drive the "science" forward and not get complacent and slap dash, or is that wishful thing?  ;)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Oh no, how annoying  :(

My regional results were similar to ancestry but ancestry are more detailed. Ancestry said I was 72% Ireland/Scotland and pinpointed my dna to county mayo in Ireland which is actually where my maternal side are from.  Living dna just said I was 98% European and 69% of that was Ireland/Scotland, no further details.

H x

Hi

Re the bit in bold. Are you sure about that? You have to drill further down to see the regional bits

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 16:39 GMT (UK) »

My regional results were similar to ancestry but ancestry are more detailed. Ancestry said I was 72% Ireland/Scotland and pinpointed my dna to county mayo in Ireland which is actually where my maternal side are from.  Living dna just said I was 98% European and 69% of that was Ireland/Scotland, no further details.

H x

Hi

Re the bit in bold. Are you sure about that? You have to drill further down to see the regional bits

I had another look, I had moved the slider over to sub regions, it just says Ireland.  The info when you click on the region says they are in the process of expanding there Irish database, maybe it will show more detail in the future.
Gedmatch kit number: A783595
Linkston, linkstone, Linkson (Scotland)
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)
Mekzsraites (Russia/ Lithuania, changed to Marshall when immigrants to Scotland)
Stevenson (Ireland / Scotland)
Fadian, English, Vesey, Gielty, Gallagher, Masterson (Achill, Co Mayo.)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 17:25 GMT (UK) »

I had another look, I had moved the slider over to sub regions, it just says Ireland.  The info when you click on the region says they are in the process of expanding there Irish database, maybe it will show more detail in the future.

Its a long time since I got my results but if I remember correctly I got the national results before the regional results. Perhaps someone else will be able to confirm if similar happened to them.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 17:39 GMT (UK) »
M

Today's message is slightly different, to say the least!  -

'Hi there,

Thank you for participating in our DNA upload program. Unfortunately, it seems that there was an issue with the data file that you uploaded to us which means that we have not been able to process your DNA. We are eager to provide you with our top-notch regional breakdown, firstly we will require you to re-upload your data.'

They aren't exactly doing themselves any favours by implying that I have matches, when in fact they haven't even processed my DNA after more than 2 months!

I wonder if I am the only one in this situation. Are the regional results worth waiting for, davidft and Hmootm?

Regards Margaret

I have this same email Margaret, came today.  Not quite sure what I will do about it.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Did you test with living DNA David?  Maybe I only have a vague version as I tested with ancestry and just uploaded my test to living DNA?

H x
Gedmatch kit number: A783595
Linkston, linkstone, Linkson (Scotland)
Hutchison (Scotland)
Hay (Scotland)
Mekzsraites (Russia/ Lithuania, changed to Marshall when immigrants to Scotland)
Stevenson (Ireland / Scotland)
Fadian, English, Vesey, Gielty, Gallagher, Masterson (Achill, Co Mayo.)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Did you test with living DNA David?  Maybe I only have a vague version as I tested with ancestry and just uploaded my test to living DNA?

H x

Yes I tested anew with Living DNA. Have a search in their online help you may find an answer there or if not ping them an email. When I contacted them with an inquiry they replied promptly, even if the answer was not exactly what I wanted to hear. Good luck.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 10:54 GMT (UK) »

H x

Hi

That is indeed the case hmootm, the recent drive to get people to upload their DNA results, up to the 1st October, was specifically to try and get pure Irish and Scottish samples, as well as most of the rest of the world. Their English and Welsh DNA database was based on the Oxford University People of the British Isles study so is much more detailed, possibly the most detailed available amongst all the companies at the moment.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 29 November 18 15:17 GMT (UK) »

Hi there,

Thank you for participating in our DNA upload program. Unfortunately, it seems that there was an issue with the data file that you uploaded to us which means that we have not been able to process your DNA. We are eager to provide you with our top-notch regional breakdown, firstly we will require you to re-upload your data.'

I received the same message last week.

Today I received an email to say they'd sorted out the problems and I will now be able to see my results by logging in to my Living DNA portal.

BUT how do I do that?

If I click on the DNA tab and then click 'sign in' it takes me to the FindMyPast homepage which I'm already logged into.

Probably just me being dim  ::)
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk