Author Topic: Why did only sons survive?  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why did only sons survive?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 November 18 13:40 GMT (UK) »
My mother-in-law told me that during the wartime and post-war rationing period near enough all the meat ration was given to her husband, a plumber and builder, so in a reserved occupation, and the rest of the family just had vegetables from the allotment and gravy.  To this day my husband doesn't like meat.

Men doing what was classified as heavy work had increased rations in WW2.
There was also food rationing during, and for a while after WW1.
Cowban

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 24 November 18 15:44 GMT (UK) »
This was WW2, should have clarified.  Not sure if father-in-law had the increased rations you mention.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 24 November 18 17:09 GMT (UK) »
If he's listed in the 1939 Register, his occupation should have 'Heavy work' written after it.  That wording would entitle him to extra rations.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 December 18 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Generally speaking baby girls tend to do better at surviving than baby boys (they say it's one of the reasons why slightly more baby boys are born statistically than girls.

There may be a reason why a single issue affected only girls than boys (though I have to say all the genetic issues I can think of off the top of my head are the other way round) - where in the family did the boys come in relation to the girls?  That may be a clue and the genders just being a coincidence

While food would often be given to the 'men' of the family first, followed by the wage earning females etc I'm not so sure that would affect the under 2s (though some families may have preferred  one gender over the other)