Author Topic: GURR of RYE in 16th century  (Read 1937 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GURR of RYE in 16th century
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 November 18 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Baptism at Fletching of one of H + P's children
16 August 1801
Mary Godfrey
Daur of Henry + Philadelphia Gurr
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DYLH-P7H?i=427&cat=215426

Which may be where the idea of Henry's father being John came from.
John Gurr + Elizabeth Godfrey, married 22 April 1728, Warbleton.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 November 18 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Baptism at Warbleton, 30 September 1744
Henry
Son of John + Elizbth Gurr
image here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6XGQ-4DP

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 November 18 17:33 GMT (UK) »
11 Nov 1746, Warbleton
Burial of a Henry Gurr
BT
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DR53-BLM?i=957&cat=585754

PR is image 256
Doesn't say "son of"

But there are baptisms indexed in Warbleton to a Henry + Sarah Gurr, appx 1777-1786
Probably Henry Gurr - Sarah Stevens, 16 October 1776, Rotherfield.
So, could that one be the Henry bap Warbleton 1744?

Back to Fletching
Marriage of a widowed Henry Gurr in 1813
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DYLH-5H9?i=657&cat=215426

Offline bornkentishman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Jonw65
Thank you very much for your post and taking the trouble to research my family. I have not found a Mary Gurr among the eight children of HG. I first child I have discovered was Louiza Gurr born 4/11/1809 so if Mary was his child then she pre dated Louiza however as HG&PF were married in 1787 it does seem a long time to delay children so your suggestion could be correct. The widowed HG could be the same HG as PH died in 1808 and HG and his new wife continued to have children until 1833. This is the first time I learned  that HG married twice so I must pay a visit to ESRO to check this further.
I think the Gurr’s of Warbleton were a close but not my branch of Gurr family as my HG died in Fletching in1835 but again I must verify.
Many thanks again
Regards,

Offline brightmount

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 December 18 20:00 GMT (UK) »
You are probably related to me. I would be interested to know if you have had a DNA test, as there’s a DNA circle on Ancestry centred on the Gurr family, as some branches ended up in the USA which always reflects in DNA results since testing is so popular over there.

My 3xGGM was Mary Gurr, born in Northiam just outside Rye in 1827. She died in 1909.

Her father was James Elijah Gurr, born in 1784 in Peasmarsh, just outside Rye. He married Sarah Eldredge and died in 1858.

His father was Thomas Gurr, born in 1752 in Peasmarsh. He married Elizabeth Bosden and died in 1826.

His father was William Gurr, born in 1724 in Peasmarsh. He married Mary Honace and died in 1785.

His father was Isaac Gurr, born in 1679 in Chiddingly; died 1763.

His father was Isaac Gurr, born in 1653 in Lewes.

Offline bornkentishman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 10:56 GMT (UK) »
brightmount,
Thank you for making contact and yes, we are probably related at some point. I have not had a DNA test as I am doubtful if it will reveal much conclusive information on my ancestors.
Coincidently, I lived until four years ago in Northiam and did come across the Gurr’s living there but that was when I was tracing the history of our cottage and not family history. I subsequently started tracing my past largely as a result of the coincidence of Gurr’s living in Northiam.
My branch, as I have so far determined, started in the village of Fletching near to Maresfield but how they showed up there is a mystery but they did have in the 19th century many contacts with Lewes and other locations with the Sussex coastal towns but no smoking gun as yet to connect them firmly to Lewes.
I do know that a Gurr family disembarked in Rye in the 1570/80’s as immigrants from France during the religious wars, embarking from Dieppe but the gap of some 200 years between Rye and Lewes is another mystery.
I am sorry that this is almost certainly unhelpful with your research but the Gurr’s did much to confuse the researcher.
Regards,
bornmanofkent