Author Topic: BAYCROFT Family (convicts), Stockport, Cheshire  (Read 2622 times)

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BAYCROFT Family (convicts), Stockport, Cheshire
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 25 November 18 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Luke's sentence expired in December 1850

In January 1851, a Luke Beecroft is listed as crew for a whaling voyage on the Sussex
https://stors.tas.gov.au/CUS36-1-496 img3

This voyage returns in November 1851

The Sussex had previously engaged whaling apprentices
1849 'Advertising', Colonial Times (Hobart, Tas. : 1828 - 1857), 27 February, p. 3. , viewed 25 Nov 2018, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8764497
(bottom of page column 5)

Given the timing and his name not being a common one, there's a good chance this is him

See also Luke Becroft listed as a seaman on the Elizabeth Thompson departing for London January 1852. His ship to colony is a Sussex.
https://stors.tas.gov.au/POL220-1-1 pg515

M

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 25 November 18 17:03 GMT (UK) »
matthewj64,

Thank you for forcing me to revisit these references.

I had uncovered them, and his possible return to the UK, earlier in my research but dismissed them on the basis of the comment Ship to Colony "Sussex".   Of course there was no convict ship "Sussex" to VDL::) so these references MUST HAVE REFERRED to the whaling ship "Sussex" returning to port??   I believe they are genuinely Luke BAYCROFT.

Sadly, however, I can find no later mention of him in England!!

BAC3

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 25 November 18 17:14 GMT (UK) »
That's exciting ...
I wonder if he would know where his brothers in England  were ..

I suppose Luke could have died at sea if you've found no deaths in Australia or UK
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 November 18 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Another record to consider -

Luke Beacroft
Baltic Medal
1845-1855
Crimean War
Ship - Blenheim
Rating - AB
Number on ship's book - 541
When delivered or sent - blank (other non-blank entries are dated 1857)

I couldn't see any other navy records for this Luke Beacroft, maybe someone with experience in naval records can find something.

Its a bit of a long shot, but worth checking as name and timing-wise it fits with the possible voyage back to England.

Crimean war was 1853-6

Refs from Ancestry:
- UK, Naval Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1972
- Admiralty, and Ministry of Defence, Navy Department: Medal Rolls. The National Archives microfilm publication ADM 171, 202 rolls
- Class: ADM 171; Piece: 19

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 November 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
The vessel ELIZABETH THOMPSON was registered in the port of liverpool UK. According to Lloyds register she did make a voyage in late 1851 London UK to the port of Launceston (I suggest Tasmania) SUSSEX official number 32123, was registered in the port of Hobart Town. Perhaps your man transhipped via Hobart to join ELIZABETH THOMPSON in Launceton.
The first 1852 Crew Agreement of ELIZABETH THOMPSON should be deposited in the British National Archive in piece BT98/2995 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4067362
This should tell you if your man was onboard and if he died at sea.
You cannot view the document online. I assume you are domicialed in Australia. If So. Then it's a case of finding a kindly soul to do a look up for you or pay a researcher.

I don't know if this is relevent. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_dss=range&_ro=any&_q=%22luke+baycroft%22
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 November 18 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello seaweed,

Thank you for your excellent research.........I am extremely grateful.

I live in the UK, and my PhD research is via Southampton University, but, nevertheless, visiting TNA is impractical (age and infirmity!!!) and I assume from your comments that I, too, would either have to ask TNA for a retrieval quotation or employ a professional researcher.

"Luke BAYCROFT" was a transportee and, if he eventually returned to the UK which seems highly likely, then he has the distinction of being one of the very few who actually did and, consequently, quite a unique case study for my research.

Once again, my thanks,

BAC3

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 26 November 18 14:01 GMT (UK) »
matthewj64,

I think Luke BAYCROFT may have been one of those unusual convicts who returned to the UK after completion of servitude.   And, now, with the help of "seaweed" extending your research parameters there seems every possibility I may be able to trace him.

However, as an interim measure I have posted on RootsChat Armed Forces in the hope someone will kindly provide the absolute answer.

For the moment,

BAC3

Online BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 26 November 18 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening seaweed,

"MaxD" on the RootsChat Armed Forces Board has commented as follows:His Ticket Number is 432850 which I know Seaweed will be able to advise what to do with. ::)

This refers to an entry for Luke BAYCROFT of Stockport, Cheshire, on TNA's Britain, Merchant Seamen, 1835-1857, Series BT114, Piece Number 4, 1845-1857.   It is quite exciting in that the details fit the hypothesis of "matthewL64" that Luke BAYCROFT returned to the UK after his servitude had been completed.    Hopefully, you will be able to conclusively confirm that he is correct.

For the moment,

BAC3

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 26 November 18 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I am afraid not. The record from Find my Past is from the series BT114 only gives his ticket number which fits in  the timeframe What may have been of help is his record from BT113.Which would a least give the port number of the vessel but no name. My guess is it has maybe been lost or destroyed.
So back to the Crew Agreement in BT98.
The record in ADM171 as outlined by matthewj64. If you do not have access to "Ancestry" It can be downloaded for free  from TNA.
Again it gives no information of any help in your quest.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022