Author Topic: John Armitage 1672, Longwood House, Huddersfield  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Armitage 1672, Longwood House, Huddersfield
« on: Friday 23 November 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I've just discovered that John is, I think, my6gGrandfather. His DoB is given as 1672 Longwood House, Huddersfield but I can't find much about the house online. Can anybody help with details of him, his lineage and the house itself.

I'm interested in the inter-relation of Armitage and North families. What's the connection between Armitage and Bolling Hall?

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: John Armitage 1672, Longwood House, Huddersfield
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 November 18 03:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a district of Huddersfield called Longwood above Milnsbridge but Longwood House is located in another district of Huddersfield called Fixby on the other side of the town. - see link

https://huddersfield.exposed/wiki/Longwood_House,_Lightridge_Lane,_Netheroyd_Hill

Location was at onetime at the bottom of a long wooded forrest
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 November 18 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.

I've worked out what the North connection is.

It seems these Armitages are quite a significant family. Most references seem to relate to later generations at High Royd and Milnsbridge so I'm not entirely sure where my John Armitage at Longwood  fits in at the moment.

Paintings of Milnsbridge show it to be a very impressive house and it's quite sad to see what it has become today.

Offline Pat Allen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Genuki describes it thus: "LONGWOOD HOUSE, a farm-house in the township and parish of Huddersfield, 2 miles from Huddersfield."

Offline Pat Allen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Exploring further, I find a John Armitage baptised 6 October 1672 at St Peter's Huddersfield, father Rich.  Born in Fartown near Huddersfield.  Then I found this https://huddersfield.exposed/wiki/Longwoodhouse_Farm,_Longwood_House_Road,_Fartown,_Huddersfield