Author Topic: Downloading a FamilySearch image?  (Read 506 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Downloading a FamilySearch image?
« on: Friday 23 November 18 15:24 GMT (UK) »
I have found a very good image of a marriage record on Family Search, which I’d love to download. My laptop is a 32 bit elderly one using Windows Vista, and FamilySearch says I need to upgrade my browser to get best functionality.
I have an iPad and I can access FS and view this parish record image but clicking the download button seems to do nothing.
I wonder if anyone knows whether there is a work-around?

Dave
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Downloading a FamilySearch image?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 November 18 15:34 GMT (UK) »

If Download isn't a possibility, - I usually select and copy, - and then paste into Word, (or something similar). It works for me anyway.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Vimto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 November 18 15:38 GMT (UK) »
If using an ipad you can take a screenshot of whatever is on your screen - it then saves the image:

https://www.imore.com/screenshot-ipad

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 November 18 15:39 GMT (UK) »

True, - and on the PC, you just press the PrtScn Tab, - and paste wherever you want it.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 November 18 15:46 GMT (UK) »
If using an ipad you can take a screenshot of whatever is on your screen - it then saves the image:

Thanks. The problem is that to avoid having various navigation buttons appearing over the image the image itself has to be kept quite small and then the edge of the writing has artefacts. The image quality is much better magnified a bit but then the whole image doesn't fit on screen. However, that got me thinking, and I’m going to attempt a panorama merge and will report back.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 November 18 17:30 GMT (UK) »
I’ve just tried using my iPad and the download button worked fine, BUT I had to refresh the screen before it did.
Have you tried downloading any other documents to check whether it is a site wide problem for you?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 November 18 19:23 GMT (UK) »

Thanks. The problem is that to avoid having various navigation buttons appearing over the image the image itself has to be kept quite small and then the edge of the writing has artefacts. The image quality is much better magnified a bit but then the whole image doesn't fit on screen. However, that got me thinking, and I’m going to attempt a panorama merge and will report back.

Dave :)

Will it fit if you go     View  >  Full Screen  ??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.