Author Topic: Unable to find the death of Ann Fraser  (Read 1187 times)

Offline ColDownUnder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family, a reverse pyramidal plunge into the past
    • View Profile
Unable to find the death of Ann Fraser
« on: Friday 23 November 18 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hoping someone can do better than me finding the death of my paternal great, great grandmother. Can't get anything up on ScotlandsPeople or other sites.

Ann Fraser (M.S. Gregor) married John Fraser 1852 at Speymouth, Moray. She was born Anne Gregor 1828 at Inveravon, Banffshire to parents James and Anne (M.S. Muirie). Ann and John Fraser had 8 children of whom John went on to become my great grandfather.

Can follow Ann through the censuses of 1861, 1871, 1881 when the family members still at home lived at Edderton, Ross-shire where John was a blacksmith. She is not present on the 1891 census. On her son John's 1894 second marriage she does not have a "deceased" notation next to her name as I've seen with other marriage certs. Ann does not appear on the 1901 census with John at Edderton. John died aged 81 in 1908 and his death cert cites "married to Ann Gregor" in its first column where I've seen on other certs "widower" and such.

To compound the mystery the name Grigor sometimes appeared on her children's birth certificates but for the life of me I'm unable to find her with any certainty after the 1891 census.

Cheers,
Col  :)
Fraser, Davidson, Gibson, Sutherland (Scot), Thompson/Thomson (E Sussex)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to find the death of Ann Fraser
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 November 18 19:54 GMT (UK) »
there is a Ann Fraser other name Grigor death 1913 age 82 in Inverness have u checked that one

Offline ColDownUnder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 November 18 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy2305 and thanks.

No, haven't checked that one. There are many Frasers around Inverness that aren't directly related to mine. Nevertheless, I may have to check it out even though the maths doesn't seem to tally (in 1913 her age should be closer to 85) but then again that's typical of those times where ages were abt or est. Thank you.

Cheers,

Offline ColDownUnder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 November 18 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Wendy2305, you were right. I purchased the 1913 death cert from ScotlandsPeople and discovered a sad story which readily explained the mystery of her disappearance after the 1881 census. Ann had spent many years in the lunatic asylum at Inverness before dying there. I'm going to ask people on this forum how to go about looking into her admission record etc.. Again, thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers,

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 November 18 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Glad to help you find her but what a sad ending

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 November 18 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Ann had spent many years in the lunatic asylum at Inverness before dying there. I'm going to ask people on this forum how to go about looking into her admission record etc.
The records of the Inverness Asylum are in the Highland Archive Centre in Inverness. https://www.highlifehighland.com/archives-service/inverness-district-asylum/

I arranged to go there one day and I told them when I booked what I wanted to look at. They brought out piles of books with an extraordinary amount of detail about the people I was interested in. The records are also very well indexed so it was easy to get to the pages I wanted to see.

If you can't get to Inverness you can order photocopies. There's a link on the above page with information abouts the cost of photocopying.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 November 18 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Just adding link to later post with further details www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=804153.0

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColDownUnder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 November 18 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian, have emailed the centre and was there in May and June finding all staff very pleasant and obliging.

Thanks Monica for the link to my post following on from this one. Next time I'll remain with the one post to avoid duplication and so on.

Cheers,
Col :)