Author Topic: Albert Leonard Brown - migration to Australia 1912  (Read 1986 times)

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Leonard Brown - migration to Australia 1912
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 November 18 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wivenhoe,
Well Fanny was obviously mentally ill, had been there for a few years, but finally she died from T.B.  I have seen records from the Institution of when she was admitted and discharged, don't have exact details right now.

I would not know if Albert Leonard New was living permanently with his Aunt & Uncle, just that we have census records indicating he was with them in April 1911, not long before they migrated to Australia.  He was shown as Nephew aged 28 years, working as Painter.   1901 Census he was aged 18 years living with his Grandparents John & Ellen New, working as a General Labourer.  1911 Census shows Albert's wife Fanny aged 37 years infirmity Lunatic at Choseley.

Albert's son Roy Leslie Townsend New went to Canada on board the Grampian to Quebec Canada in 1920, when he was 14 years of age.   Next time he was found married in 1939 in London.

Closer family members may have more details on his return to UK, and I don't have a copy of the marriage certificate at this time, but family members could have one.

Jan

Can you please expand on the information you are giving here.

"... His wife was ill and spent an amount of time in the Lunatic Asylum in Choseley,"

What admissions and discharges do you see for her?

"...1911 Census, Albert aged 28 years was living with his Aunt & Uncle John & Fanny New"
I see Albert with aunt and uncle, and described as nephew. Was he just there on the night of the census?. How do you see him to be living there?.

"...son Roy New went to Canada as a Home Child, returning to Britain around 1920 and he married later living in London with family."

When did Roy, born 1906, go to Canada.  Roy, aged 14 got himself back to England?   Where does "..about 1920" come from...why that year?

When Roy marries, how does he name his father. If he names his father as Albert Leonard NEW, does this marriage certificate show Albert to be (dec)?
New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 24 November 18 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Just to add

Fanny Elizabeth Townsend NEW
Admitted 21 Jan 1911 - Discharged 21 Oct 1911
Admitted 2 Dec 1912 -Discharged ( Died) 26 Dec 1914
Rate aided Admissions Jan - Dec 1911 - Lunacy Asylum records

So she was in the Berkshire Asylum in 1911.

Following his passage to Canada as a Home Child:
https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/home-children-1869-1930/immigration-records/Pages/search.aspx

In 1921 Census of Canada in South Dumfries, Brant, Ontario.
Robert NEW 15, Lodger, Farm Labourer, imm 1920,  in household of Thomas HOLDER (HOLDEN).

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 24 November 18 10:51 GMT (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=669202.0

Was there ever any further investigation to see if Bertie could be A NEW mentioned on the Newbury War Memorial?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 24 November 18 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Ambly,
Yes that information is correct regarding the Asylum.  Thanks for updating that. Have copy of 1911 Census for Fanny New.

Yes we still wonder about that "A. New" on Newbury War Memorial, no further response from Newbury Chap.

Jan

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 04 August 19 16:19 BST (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=669202.0

Was there ever any further investigation to see if Bertie could be A NEW mentioned on the Newbury War Memorial?

Cheers
AMBLY
Just found this thread as I make another attempt to determine which A New is remembered on the Newbury memorial.  I still cannot be certain, but my bet is on Alfred Sydney New, Gloucs Regt, who died in the UK on 20 Aug 1917. He was from, and is buried in, Burbage, and is named on the Burbage memorial, but the CWGC has his parents address as Aldern Bridge, Newbury. More doubt creeps in when you realise that Aldern Bridge in not in Newbury but part in Newtown and part in Greenham - both of which have memorials with no News. Newbury's memoiral was erected in 1922, relatively late, and it seems that they pretty much accepted any names submitted - perhaps Alfred's parents felt the need to have his name on a memorial near them?

So I am far from convinced - Albert Leonard is another possibility, but the CWGC has no record of him, so it is unlikely he died on overseas service (but not impossible) and there is no UK death record 1914-1922 (UK deaths are more likely to be missed by the CWGC). Once again I am unconvinced.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 August 19 00:27 BST (UK) »
Newbury Chap, I think we can definitely discount the theory about our Albert changing his name to Brown.   We have finally found the family connection with the guy that fathered two children in Broome, Western Australia.  His name was Henry (Harry) Goddard  His Mother was Kate Thorn who resided in Reading at that time in 1910.   This has been one amazing story, finding this DNA match, discovered he was a Pearl Lugger owner.    Intense searching for 6 months finally connected my 4th Cousin in Western Australia to the Thorn/Goddard family who originated from Newbury.   The mother of the two children was half indigenous, Filipino and Borneo mix.

Yes and getting back to A New,  there is every possibility that this A New on the memorial at Newbury could be our Albert Leonard New.
Albert's wife died at Choseley at the end of 1912, and most likely after this, he moved away from the area, once his Aunt & Uncle John New had moved to Australia.  There were so many other aunts and uncles of the New family around Newbury, who surely would have known his movements, and yes maybe he joined the military action by 1914.  There were New family members, one in particular, his Uncle Walter New who was Licensee of the Swan Inn at Newtown.   Maybe he just listed his parents as coming from Aldern Bridge at the time, not wishing his family members to know that he enlisted.

Guess if he did marry again and fathered any children, we might come up with a DNA match along the way, but the chances are quite remote now.    I know that the family in UK are very anxious to find out what happened to their Great Grandfather.

jan