Author Topic: Western Maori Electoral District Roll 1899.  (Read 901 times)

Online Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Western Maori Electoral District Roll 1899.
« on: Saturday 24 November 18 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Greetings.

So far only been able to gain access [Ancestry] to the 1908 and 1919 roll. I'm Waikato / Auckland based and require access to the 1899 roll data, for a current research project. Any tips appreciated.

Assume the Alexander Turnball library would have a hard copy or two, but struggling to find any local library listing holding copies of the data, in a retrieval form, or original print edition.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Western Maori Electoral District Roll 1899.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 November 18 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Notes on Ancestry say...

“Before 1919, the only Māori voter rolls to have survived are those of 1908 for the Northern, Western, and Eastern districts.”

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 November 18 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Alan,

Depending upon what you are looking for you may find the following link to the University of Auckland Maori Land Court Minute Books Index, which is up to 1910 helpful. 

https://collections.library.auckland.ac.nz/mlcmbi/

What are you looking for?

I have recently begun research into some Maori family history and have found the Maori Land Court Minute Books very helpful.  Some hard copies of Minute Books (relevant to local area) are held in Public Libraries otherwise a visit to your closest Maori Land Court may be required to access Maori Land Court records.  Staff at the Maori Land Court offices are very helpful.
There is a Maori Land Court in Hamilton - L2, BNZ Centre, 354-358 Victoria Street.

Be prepared for alot of aka names!

WNW

Online Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 November 18 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.

Was, am very keen to lay my hands on the above roll, if one exists.

Our Moderator unearthed a very little known fact, which has turned into a major research project of mine. Over 200 photographs of records, deeds etc from various Archives, and over 600 PapersPast clippings.

With the 1903- 1908 sell off of the three large North Waikato Estates, which I have been researching, came the loss to the Hukanui Maori community, of their major source of income. Press reports list 53 votes cast at Hukanui in 1899 yet a quick look through the Ancestry 1908 published data shows only some 20 eligible voting citizens remained. I have transcribed the 1908 names I found, and was hoping to transcribe the 1899, names on the 1899 roll to go with the research findings.

Alan.

Online Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 November 18 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Edited to ....
Be prepared for alot of aka names!

WNW

Pre 1900 and even pre WWI, Maori were only in the first generation with a written language, and being part of civil registration which had only just become compulsory. So there are many variants on spelling. Also with their less formal [in European eyes] families, it is important to relate the name being researched to any Hapu information associated.

Last night I checked with a respected Tainui spokesperson to see if they concurred with my assumption, that the Rotorua POUI of Nagti Koroki Hapu, on the 1908 electoral roll, would be one much loved Roto[rua] PUHIPUHI from the Hukanui community. I was assured it would be, so that is good enough for me.

But Poui to Puhipuhi is a rather big jump in my experience, and not one I was prepared to assume on my own initiative.

Alan.