Author Topic: Parents of Henry Varley (1823 - 1868)  (Read 698 times)

Offline 1JC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of Henry Varley (1823 - 1868)
« on: Saturday 24 November 18 09:14 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to find the birth records for parents of my Great Great Grandfather Henry Varley and have ended up frustrated as nothing seems to fit. Would someone be able to help?

A while back a distant relative sent me a copy of the births page of Henry’s family bible which helped me to identify the correct Henry Varley, father of my Great Grandfather, Ebenezer.

The family bible has the following relevant dates:
Henry Varley:  born Dec 16 1823, died April 28 1868.
Wife Sarah Varley: born Nov 7 1826, died April 14 1896.
Children: Robert 3 Aug 1848, Sarah 17 Aug 1850, Jane 8 Nov 1852, Ebenezer 1 March 1856, James Henry 3 Jan 1858, Mary Alice 4 July 1859, Lucy Ann 29 April 1863, John Samuel 20 Aug 1869.

All the children were born in Haslingden, Lancashire.

From the above it was fairly easy to identify the census records for Henry and family from 1951 onwards (I never found a 1841 record that I was happy with). Henry was a cotton weaver.

I am fairly sure that Henry married Sarah Hoyle on 8 Sept 1847 at the Ebenezer Baptist Chapel in Bacup, Haslingden, Lancashire. Henry was recorded as a Weaver and his father was recorded as Robert Varley, also a Weaver. Henry’s age was recorded as 23 and Sarah’s as 20. Witnesses were Abraham Taylor and Sarah Ashworth.

I am also fairly sure that Henry was baptised on 17 May 1824 in the chapelry of Marsden, Lancashire, with parents recorded as Robert (a Weaver) and Sarah. They lived in Barrowsford (the best fit, by far).

There is a marriage record on 20 August 1820 at Colne, Lancashire between Robert Varley (a Weaver) and Sarah Taylor, witnesses Lawrence Booth and James Hargreaves. (This seems to be a reasonable fit).

Now this is where I am stuck. I cannot find any census records that fit the above nor birth records for Robert (or Sarah).

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Henry Varley (1823 - 1868)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 November 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the lancs OPC site

www.lan-opc.org.uk

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 November 18 11:39 GMT (UK) »
I am also fairly sure that Henry was baptised on 17 May 1824 in the chapelry of Marsden, Lancashire, with parents recorded as Robert (a Weaver) and Sarah. They lived in Barrowsford (the best fit, by far).

Just to be aware that the Lancs site has the surname as Barley and the abode as Baronford
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 November 18 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Burials:

Robert Varley   57  (1778)   8 Apr 1835   Colne, St Bartholomew

Abode barrowsford, also at that abode, Sarah below, however the age of 23 is clear but I wonder if the stated age is wrong?

Sarah Varley   abt 1809   31 Dec 1832   Colne, St Bartholomew

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 November 18 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the birth/baptisms of Robert & Sarah there are a number of both at Colne and beyond.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline 1JC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 November 18 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Millipede.  It must have been the end of a long day for the transcriber. I have an image of the record and it is definitely Varley and Barrowford but I can see how it was transcribed as Barley and Baronford.

Thanks ColC (Colin). In the 1847 marriage cert for Henry and Sarah it states that Henry’s father is Robert a weaver, but it does not state that he is deceased. This may be an omission but I had assumed that he was alive in 1847. Also, if Robert was born around 1778 he would have been reasonably old when he married, but certainly not out of the range of possibility.
I have a busy day today (N.Z.) and will have a closer look tomorrow.
John

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 November 18 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid it wasn't always stated if fathers were deceased or not on marriage certificates. 

I have some certificates with the fathers not noted as deceased when in fact they were so something to bear in mind.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline 1JC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 November 18 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Millipede and ColC

Taking on board your guidance I have followed things through and have come up with the following. Does this make sense?

Given that there was the real possibility that Robert Varley was not alive when his son Henry married in 1847 and the fact that there is no Robert Varley (weaver) that can be found in any census records it is probable that Robert died between 1823 and 1841. The April 8 1835 burial at Barrowford at age 57 is the only fit. (Thanks Colin).
That would imply that Robert Varley was born about 1778. I have not found a baptism for a Robert Varley close to the Colne area around that time. However, there is a 25 December 1786 baptism for Robert Varley with father James and mother Betty who were living in Barrowford. For this to be the correct, Robert Varley would have to have been baptised at age 8. Looking at the Varley baptisms in Colne, where there is both a birth and baptism date recorded, a baptism in late childhood is fairly normal – so this looks like the best fit baptism and Robert’s parents look like they are James and Betty.
Annoyingly, there seems to be three James and Betty Varley’s around Colne with marriages in 1761, 1773 and 1776.  Looking at the James and Betty that were living in Barrowford – who had the following children (with baptism years): Ellin 1776, Thomas 1778, Kester 1780, Margaret 1783, Robert 1786, Henry 1789, Abraham 1790, James 1792, Elizabeth 1793.
There is a Margaret, daughter of James and Betty, who was baptised in 1763 and whose parents lived at Monkroad. This is certainly the child of the James and Betty that were married in 1761. So the parents of our Robert were either married on June 1 1773 (James Varley + Betty Heap) or married on June 1 1776 (James Varley + Betty Brotherton). Given that Robert was born in 1776 it seems likely that his parents were James Varley and Betty Heap.
Given that there were three James Varley’s around the same age in Colne, I am not brave enough to try and find the right James Varley birth record. However, there is a baptism for Betty Heap on 26 March 1752 from Little Marsden, Colne, with Father = John Heap.

Now turning to Robert’s wife Sarah Taylor. I could only find one child of Robert and Sarah (Henry, born 1823). Also there is no obvious Sarah Varley that matches in census records. So either Sarah died between 1823 and 1841 or Sarah remarried. I couldn’t find any obvious Marriage for a Sarah Varley of the right age range. Looking at deaths there seems to be only one that looks likely, the 1832 death that Colin identified. I found the image for this death record and the age at death was recorded as 23 – so not a transcription error but still a possible recording error (also there is no birth record for a Sarah Varley around 1809). Assuming that age at death was an error there seems to be three possibilities for baptisms of a Sarah Taylor around Colne.
1 Aug 1789 @ Little Marsden, F = Robert, M = Jane
4 Sept 1803 @ Shawnook, F = John, M = Sophia
29 April 1804 @ Trawden, F = John, M = Mary.
My money is on the 1789 birth as; the other two would make Sarah quite young at the marriage in August 1820, The names Robert and Jane occur in descendants, and The age at death could have been 43 rather than the 23 recorded.
There is a marriage between Robert Taylor and Jane Bannister on 25 December 1775 at Colne. (Sarah’s eldest sibling was born in 1779).