Author Topic: Elizabeth Rodger, d 1857 Greenock poorhouse  (Read 1418 times)

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Rodger, d 1857 Greenock poorhouse
« on: Saturday 24 November 18 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Is there a way to see records from the Poorhouse?  I found a death which might be my relation.  It's a sad case of her being replaced by her sister within the marriage.  I'd like to know what records they have about her.

Sheena
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Rodger, d 1857 Greenock poorhouse
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 November 18 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheena have you tried the Mitchell Library to see if they have records for Greenock they have a lot of records and it's free to view ...You could maybe phone them and check with them ..or
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Rosie

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 November 18 23:15 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Sheenamac   I googled Workhouse in Greenock and  got lots of details on Captain St Poorhouse where I presume the person you seek  was an inmate. No real information about the patients but lots of laudatory comments about the Administrators. It looks like no actual records of the Poorhouse survive though there are records from 1860 ( too late for Elizabeth ) of the asylum/hospital part of the the complex held in Glasgow City Archives at the Mitchell Library.  I wonder if  Elizabeth  was  recorded  in the poorhouse at the time of the 1851 census.  This may or may not be another way to check if Elizabeth is one of the ancestors you seek.  Regards Orkrad

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 December 18 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Sadly the records haven't survived. My grandfather spent time in Captain Street and I have been all around the houses on this. Records don't survive except as someone said earlier, for the asylum. But I do think it's worth checking there was no connection with another poor house like in Govan for example. I got some information for someone else who was there though they were resident in Greenock all of their lives. It's worth checking as those records have survived.
McKenzie Grant Killin Gallagher/Gallacher

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 December 19 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking into this for me.  I note your replies are dated December 2018.  My town experienced severe flooding at that time and I wasn't doing any FH research - this might explain why I didn't see your responses.  I am only now getting back to FH.

Thanks again

Sheena
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker