Author Topic: Opinion and help please  (Read 2713 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion and help please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 November 18 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I am guessing there was some sort of door for the passageway???!!!

Yes, but it would have been more like a gate, the two doors in the photograph are definitely both front doors.  Nothing to suggest they weren't standing outside a different house than Adam/Jack lived in.

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 November 18 18:49 GMT (UK) »
I agree.
Come on Wales (v South Africa ) - getting a bit close and I am going out soon.
Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 November 18 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Peter,

You may already have considered this but........there is a death indexed for a John A Edwards who died in 1955 at age 83 and the death was registered in Stockport.

As the death is pre-1957, it might be worth getting a PDF copy of the record (at £6.00) from the GRO.

Willyam

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 November 18 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Now that is very interesting especially as Cheshire BMD give the name as John Adam!!!
Do you know what info is given on the PDF copy. I am thinking that the informant may have been a son or daughter.
Thanks again
Peter

Ps Wales won.. phew
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
& more

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 November 18 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Peter,

For some time now, where possible, I have been ordering PDFs as they are direct digital copies of the paper certificate (at £9.25) that would otherwise come through the post - but subject to the following (GRO Q&A) caveat:

"Q4. Is a PDF the same as a certificate and can I use a PDF as evidence for official purposes, such as a passport application, or if giving notice of marriage etc.?

No. A PDF is not a certificate. A PDF will have no "evidential" value, and therefore a paper certified copy [certificate] is required for official purposes, e.g. if applying for a passport, driving licence, or where required to give notice of marriage."

Willyam

Ps - of course Wales won!

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 November 18 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Excellent
I’ll give that a go and let you know idc
Peter
plus
& more

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 01 December 18 10:50 GMT (UK) »
I have now received the PDF death certificate and this confirms that it is John Adam Edwards , retired
Retail grocer of 31 Hardcastle St, Stockport. The informant was a brother in law and his surname Curran has enabled me to trace the marriage. Still looking for possible children.
All in all a most successful post and thanks to everyone and particularly to Willyam especially mentioning the PDF route which is very useful and will save money!!
Peter
plus
& more

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 December 18 13:16 GMT (UK) »
John A b 1877 states he was a retired grocer, Castle Street is the main shopping area so it is likely that he resided 'on the premises'

Hardcastle Street is likely to be his parents residential address, which may be identified from those on google as it has at least 2 steps leading to the front door, the brick pattern is distinctive as belonging to the houses on the bottom end of the street

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 December 18 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi
John Adam is residing in HARDcastle Street and not Castle street. Castle st is shown as the address on Ancestry but if you look at the actual register you will see it is an error as per my post 24 Nov. I was thrown by that as well to start with. He was already retired in 1939 so I do not know where he had the business.
Thanks for your interest.
Peter
plus
& more