Author Topic: Susanna Harris bn 1813  (Read 684 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Susanna Harris bn 1813
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 November 18 09:42 GMT (UK) »
There is a Thomas Wilcox Bapt 3 Feb 1802 Madeley, Parents JOHN/SUSANNAH

So his Parents may be 2 of the 3 witnesses to the 1825

Trish :)
I think this seems a much more likely woman as a witness than the young daughter.
If we are on the right track it would be interesting to know exactly where Fanny died.  Was she estranged from Thomas by 1833 when Sarah Ann was born? Or what?

Sue 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 November 18 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Burials

Thomas Wilcox
Age 51 of Ironbridge
23rd March 1853 Madeley

Susannah Wilcox
Age 46 of Ironbridge
6th March 1861 Madeley

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 November 18 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Who knows Sue. Maybe Fanny was ok with it if she was unable to give Thomas children.
These are the mysteries of Family research!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
  • G.Grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Steele
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 November 18 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sue and Trish,

It really is a mystery. I was thinking it was a more morbid thing, like a sordid affair hidden from the mother/wife. Especially with Reuben and Ann not living with them at time of the 41 census.

Fanny's age is a bit of mystery too, as her baptism is dated 1771, which right now I'm thinking may be transcribed 10 years out. She is daughter of Alexander Guest and Eleanor Palmer. I know I have the parents right as her first husband John Harris, is on the grave and she is mentioned. 
Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 November 18 21:59 GMT (UK) »
One observation re the marriage of Thomas Wilcox and Susanna is the geography. Other docs. all suggest Madeley/ Ironbridge but here we have  a marriage by licence  in Shifnal and residence in Oakengates. Why not marry in Madeley? There do not appear to be any prior connections to Shifnal.

Suggest you have a look at the 1841  census entry for the Hannah Stanway mentioned in previous posts
 Address The Lloyds Madeley
George Stanway 55
Hannah Stanway 50
Various other Stanways
Ann Harris 8

Might the above Ann Harris be Sarah Ann Harris Wilcox?

Also worth noting that Telford Libraries have free access to the Shropshire Parish Records on FindMyPast.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
  • G.Grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Steele
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 November 18 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes I did think that rather odd, but as it was not legal to marry your step daughter. They probably wanted to avoid Madeley.

I have already assumed Ann Harris and Sarah Ann Harris Wilcox to be the same person.

Thank you, I am aware of the free access... I just lack the time to visit. I aim to go one day during the Christmas holidays, as long as it is open. I will eventually subscribe to Ancestry/Findmypast again soon I just lack a personal laptop atm and have to rely on others.

Thank you everyone for your help with look ups etc :)
Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 November 18 04:11 GMT (UK) »

Suggest you have a look at the 1841  census entry for the Hannah Stanway mentioned in previous posts
 Address The Lloyds Madeley
George Stanway 55
Hannah Stanway 50
Various other Stanways
Ann Harris 8

Might the above Ann Harris be Sarah Ann Harris Wilcox?

William

Trish mentioned this earlier

I've found Ann Harris with Hannah Stanway/Her Husband George ad their Family in 1841 Census but where is Reuben?

I would agree very likely the right child.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk