Author Topic: James Robb (b~1782) and Isabella Stewart (b~1780).  (Read 4529 times)

Offline Wendy A. Robb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Robb (b~1782) and Isabella Stewart (b~1780).
« on: Sunday 25 November 18 00:38 GMT (UK) »
I've only been able to trace my husband's family back to James Robb b~1782, my husband's 5xg grandfather.  Wondering if anyone can help me get farther?  They lived in Rathen, Aberdeenshire and it looks like James and maybe a few of the younger generations were farmers at Bluebog Farm.  This James apparently married Isabella Stewart (b~1780, her parents were Charles Stewart and Margaret Grant).  I've not been able to find birth, marriage or death certificates for James and Isabella.  James and Isabella had my husband's 4xg grandfather George Robb (b1810) who married Elizabeth Campbell.  I might have found James in the 1841 census but Isabella isn't on it.  She may have died by then.  The 1841 census has my husband's ancestor George as 25 and a Christian as 20, but there are some more that are aged 10, 15 and even 3 (has a last name Barber listed so might not be relate) so James may have remarried?

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Robb (b~1782) and Isabella Stewart (b~1780).
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 November 18 00:56 GMT (UK) »
in the 1851 census Ann Barber is still living with James and is shown to be his grand daughter there are also 2 other grandchildren there as well with the surname Cowie age 6 and 3 possibly illegitimate children of James daughters
John appears to be the youngest child of James so Isabella possibly died after that although can't see a baptisim for him or there is one for a John born to parents James Robb and Grace Johnston

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 November 18 01:43 GMT (UK) »
The family you have found in 1841 are he family of James Robb and Grace Johnston married 1810 and not of James and Isabella so possibly they both died before the census

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 November 18 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Lastly the only child I could find for James Robb and Isobel/Isabella Stewart was an Alexander b 1816 which was in Aberdour which is the same place George and Elisabeth were married 

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 November 18 10:01 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have found your James Robb  ;D

There's an MI in Aberdour kirkyard for the Robb family which has Isobel Stewart dying 2 Oct 1831. A James Robb appears on the same memorial - he died on 10 Sep 1864. The death registration for this James Robb has him as aged 81, a widower (no spouses names), the son of William Robb and Janet Ogilvie. The death was registered in Pitsligo by James' son-in-law, Robert Sutherland (m. Jean/Jane Robb in 1844 in Pitsligo).

This James Robb is with his (presumably) second wife, Mary Stewart/Stuart in Aberdour in the 1841 and 1851 censuses - by 1861, he is a widower. James is noted as being born in Keith, Banffshire, Mary in New Deer, Aberdeenshire. He married Mary Stewart in 1833 - it looks like she died in 1852.

I can't find a William Robb and Janet Ogilvie, but I can see a George Robb and Janet Ogilvie, who married in 1769 in Keith, and had a number of children baptised in Keith, so this could well be the family, although James isn't one of the names recorded.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 November 18 10:07 GMT (UK) »
For sake of completeness, these are the only baptisms I can see for James Rob(b) and Isabella Stewart, all baptised in Aberdour:

- George, 9 Jun 1810
- James, 28 Mar 1812
- Alexander, 5 Nov 1816
- John,13 Jul 1820

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 November 18 10:26 GMT (UK) »
On to Isabella Stewart/Stuart...

There's an Isabel Stuart baptised 16 Dec 1780 in Aberlour, Banffshire - parents Charles Stuart and Margaret Grant. This couple may be the couple who were married in Knockando, Moray in Feb 1780 - Aberlour and Knockando are neighbouring parishes.

Ruth

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 November 18 10:35 GMT (UK) »
This James apparently married Isabella Stewart (b~1780, her parents were Charles Stewart and Margaret Grant).
Where did you get this from? What proof do you have of Isabella's parents' names?

There's an Isabel Stuart baptised 16 Dec 1780 in Aberlour, Banffshire - parents Charles Stuart and Margaret Grant. This couple may be the couple who were married in Knockando, Moray in Feb 1780 - Aberlour and Knockando are neighbouring parishes.
Are you possibly confusing Aberdour, which is on the Aberdeenshire coast west of Fraserburgh, and Aberlour in Banffshire, which is next to Knockando in Moray and quite a long way away in early 19th century terms?[/quote]

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 November 18 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Are you confusing Aberdour, which is on the Aberdeenshire coast west of Fraserburgh, and Aberlour in Banffshire, which is next to Knockando in Moray and quite a long waya away in early 19th century terms?

I don't think so, unless SP has the parish of Isabel Stuart's baptism recorded incorrectly (Ancestry does it all the time  ::) ) - although I agree the distance between the two parishes is quite large. This baptism could be for a different Isabel Stuart of course...

I'm about to follow father Charles Stuart and Isabel's siblings to see if they ended up closer to Aberdour...

Ruth