Author Topic: James Robb (b~1782) and Isabella Stewart (b~1780).  (Read 4511 times)

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Robb (b~1782) and Isabella Stewart (b~1780).
« Reply #18 on: Monday 26 November 18 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Jean (15) is, I think, most likely to be the child of James Robb & Grace Johnston, baptised 6 Sep 1827 in Rathen.
Maybe, but that Jean would have been only 13 years old on census day 1841, not 15. She is in the household of William Chapman, farmer, aged 20, so is likely to be a servant.

I suggested this Jean as no other Jean Robb born in Aberdeenshire seems to be a better fit, and she may well have claimed to be 15 to get the post as servant. Of course, she could have come from further afield.

Another piece missing in the jigsaw: In 1841, in the "Village of New Aberdour", Elizabeth (presumably Campbell) Robb (40) is living with her father Alexander (68) and her children James (5) and Mary (2). No sign of husband George, though, so possibly working away? There's an entry for Peterhead that fits his age but no other evidence to support it.
ABERDEENSHIRE: Simpson, Robb, Kelman, Gatt, Will, Ling, Henderson, Campbell, Stewart, Gordon
DUNBARTONSHIRE: Smith, Russell, Donald, Meiklem
GLASGOW: Guthrie
RENFREWSHIRE: Gilmour, Pollok, Urie
IRELAND: McIlhenny, McIlhaney
LANCASHIRE: Swainson, Baines
YORKSHIRE: Littlewood, Bastow/Barstow/Bairstow, Nussey, Haley, Wilkinson
WILTSHIRE: Marsh, Golding/Goulding/Golden/Goulden
DEVON: Perry, Hurford
BERKSHIRE: Chandler, Langley, Surman
AUSTRALIA: Poole, Surman, Miatke, Baum
GERMANY: Miatke, Baum

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 November 18 18:46 GMT (UK) »
What connection, if any, is there between Elizabeth Campbell or Robb and Margaret Campbell?

I think I can answer that one  ;D

Margaret Campbell died in 1864 - her death was registered by Alexander Robb (son of George Robb and Elizabeth Campbell), and he is noted as Margaret Campbell's grand nephew, so Margaret Campbell was Elizabeth Campbell's aunt.

Margaret's parents are noted as James Campbell, quarrier, and Janet Campbell (ms Cullen). There is a suitable baptism of a Margaret Campbell to a James Campbell in Aberdour on 28 Oct 1779. There is also a baptism for an Alexander Campbell to James Campbell and Janet Cullen on 18 Oct 1772, which matches the age of Elizabeth's father, Alexander.

On Elizabeth Campbell's death registration, her parents are noted as Alexander Campbell, farmer and Janet Gordon, domestic servant, so I think it's quite likely that Alexander didn't marry Elizabeth's mother.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 November 18 18:58 GMT (UK) »
PS - you two have been busy today  ;D I'm playing catch-up.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Haymon, Baker, Corke, Cooley, Ginger - Kent/London.

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 00:37 GMT (UK) »
What connection, if any, is there between Elizabeth Campbell or Robb and Margaret Campbell?

I think I can answer that one  ;D

Margaret Campbell died in 1864 - her death was registered by Alexander Robb (son of George Robb and Elizabeth Campbell), and he is noted as Margaret Campbell's grand nephew, so Margaret Campbell was Elizabeth Campbell's aunt.

Margaret's parents are noted as James Campbell, quarrier, and Janet Campbell (ms Cullen). There is a suitable baptism of a Margaret Campbell to a James Campbell in Aberdour on 28 Oct 1779. There is also a baptism for an Alexander Campbell to James Campbell and Janet Cullen on 18 Oct 1772, which matches the age of Elizabeth's father, Alexander.

On Elizabeth Campbell's death registration, her parents are noted as Alexander Campbell, farmer and Janet Gordon, domestic servant, so I think it's quite likely that Alexander didn't marry Elizabeth's mother.

Ruth

I agree with that line of deduction, and I had previously come to the same conclusions. A further bit of deduction/guesswork led me to believe that the two witnesses to Margaret's 1779 baptism (John & George Campbell) could well have been James' brothers - all three were quarriers. This ties in with another Margaret Campbell who was baptised 18 Dec 1778 in Aberdour, daughter of George Campbell & Agnes Bruce - witnesses James Bruce and James Campbell. The two Margaret Campbells would then have been cousins.

One piece of information that I had NOT found was Alexander's baptism in 1772 - I can't see it on ScotlandsPeople, where did you get the (valuable) information?
ABERDEENSHIRE: Simpson, Robb, Kelman, Gatt, Will, Ling, Henderson, Campbell, Stewart, Gordon

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 01:13 GMT (UK) »

Mary (Stewart) Robb, if it is she (?),  claims in the 1861 census to have been born c1785 in New Deer, and I cannot see her in the 1861 census. Death registration only began in 1855 and I cannot find her death after that date unfortunately, as that would have given her parentage. The New Deer parish register shows a Mary Stewart baptised on 17 Mar 1781 to John & Jean Stewart, and this MAY be her - it was not unknown for a prospective wife to shave a few years off her age! (Note there is also a Mary Stewart baptised in 1784 in Rathen to Robert Stewart.)

There is also a Mary Stuart baptised in New Deer 11 Dec 1783 to William Stuart & Isobel Heaton. This is closer to the DoB claimed by Mary in the 1851 Census, and the spelling STUART is that used in the 1841 census (not conclusive, I know!)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
One piece of information that I had NOT found was Alexander's baptism in 1772 - I can't see it on ScotlandsPeople, where did you get the (valuable) information?

From SP - the spelling of the surname may have meant it didn't come up, unless you'd selected Name Variants  :)

Campbel Alexander, Parents: James Campbel/Jannet Cullen, 18/10/1772, Aberdour, Aberdeenshire 169/10 261

Ruth

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 19:20 GMT (UK) »
There is also a Mary Stuart baptised in New Deer 11 Dec 1783 to William Stuart & Isobel Heaton. This is closer to the DoB claimed by Mary in the 1851 Census, and the spelling STUART is that used in the 1841 census (not conclusive, I know!)

I wouldn't rely at all on the spelling of names - that's very much a modern construct - in the Aberdour parish register that records Mary Stewart/Stuart's death, her name is spelt 'Stewart'. Unfortunately, the register doesn't record her age at death, only the place of death, so it doesn't really help with identifying which Mary Stewart/Stuart we might be dealing with  ::)

Ruth

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 23:25 GMT (UK) »

From SP - the spelling of the surname may have meant it didn't come up, unless you'd selected Name Variants  :)

Campbel Alexander, Parents: James Campbel/Jannet Cullen, 18/10/1772, Aberdour, Aberdeenshire 169/10 261

D'oh! Schoolboy error!  ::)