Author Topic: prichard of maesbury  (Read 1096 times)

Offline pritchardgeo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
prichard of maesbury
« on: Sunday 25 November 18 09:05 GMT (UK) »
looking for some help advice and comments about the feasibility of this ancestral link please.

hereford a long way from oswestry is it possible likley or am i grasping at straws !!

i have traced a thomas in the oswestry parish records as
Thomas Prichard
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
Name:   Thomas Prichard
Residence Place:   Oswestry, Shropshire, England
Christening Date:   02 May 1756
Christening Date (Original):   2 May 1756
Christening Place:   St. Oswald, Oswestry, Shropshire, England
Father's Name:   Thomas Prichard

1756] Oswestry. 227
1756, May 2. Thomas, s. of Thomas Prichard of Measbury, pauppor, gone for a soldier, b. ... bap.

and have found this record note 1756 sounds an amazing coincidence if incorrect. but cladock hereford is good way from oswestry

Name:   Tho Tomln Prichard
Birth Date:   abt 1732
Birth Place:   Cladock, Hareford
Military Date:   29 May 1756
Unit:   58th Foot Soldiers
thank you brian

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: prichard of maesbury
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 November 18 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

Just linking this other thread to avoid any duplication of effort:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=803212.0

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline pritchardgeo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 November 18 03:54 GMT (UK) »
thank you
brian

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 November 18 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Clodock is quite a way from Oswestry as you say so, without any further information from the record that you've found, it's difficult to say anything about it.

There is this baptism

Clodock, Herefordshire
9 October 1735  Thomas, son of James Prichard

What was the source of your information about his army service?

GAdget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline pritchardgeo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 November 18 11:21 GMT (UK) »
yes i know i was grasping at some staws here.
the info i found was on ancestry.
without being able to find his wife this may be a dead duck as i cannot link the marriage in 1755 to margaret jones either.
any ideas ? also on the parish records it says of maesbury does that mean he was born there or just resided there ? he could easily be as you know better than me in denbighshire or montgomeryshire
thanks for looking again brian.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 November 18 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Maesbury is part of the  Oswestry parish.  He would not necessarily have been born there.

What did your Thomas call his children?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 November 18 12:01 GMT (UK) »
According to the source, he was a husbandsman, prior to enlistment.

I'm not really very knowledgeable about military sources. Why not put a request on our  Armed Forces Board as there are lots of knowledgeable people there.  Give the info from the military record that you have and asked if they might be able to help you with any more information.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/armed-forces/

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 November 18 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Just looking at the enlistment book again.  His place of enlistment was 'Swansey'.  I'm assuming that this is most probably  Swansea.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 November 18 13:00 GMT (UK) »
A little about the 58th Foot, 1756 onwards, especially during the Seven Year War:

In 1758, the regiment was selected for the planned amphibious expedition against the Fortress of Louisbourg. Sailing from Ireland, it arrived at Halifax on May 17. On May 28, the British Fleet departed Halifax. The expedition was under the command of General Amherst. On June 8, when Amherst's Army landed near Louisbourg, the regiment was part of the left brigade under Lawrence. In June and July, the regiment took part in the Siege of Louisbourg which surrendered on July 27.

In 1759, the regiment took part in the amphibious expedition against Québec, being attached to Brigadier-General Monckton's Brigade. On June 27, the army landed on Isle-d'Orléans and were drawn up on the beach near the village of Saint-Laurent. On July 31, the grenadiers of the regiment took part in the failed attack on the shores of Beauport, suffering heavy losses in the fight. Late in the evening of September 12, the regiment formed part of the first 1,700 men who were ordered from the British vessels above Québec into bateaux in preparation for a landing at Anse-au-Foulon. On September 13, most of the regiment took part in the victorious Battle of the Plains of Abraham near Québec. These 8 coys were deployed in the centre, while 2 coys were left to guard the landing place. On September 18, Québec finally surrendered. At the end of October, when Vice-Admiral Saunders left with his fleet for Great Britain, the regiment, whose ranks had been replenished to about 400 men by drafts from the 62nd Foot and 69th Foot, remained as garrison in Québec along with 9 other battalions.

On April 28 1760, at the defeat of Sainte-Foy, the regiment was in Burton's Brigade on the right wing. The same year, it was also involved in the expedition against Montréal, where the surrender of Pierre de Rigaud, Marquis de Vaudreuil's troops on September 12 brought an end to the conquest of Canada.

In 1762, the regiment was part of Burton's Corps sent from North America to assist the British force who had laid Siege to Havana. It arrived in Cuba on June 27 and took part in the siege and capture of Havana, suffering heavy losses from sickness during the following months.

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=58th_Foot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Years%27_War