Author Topic: Arthur and Emily Mary Douce - who are they and where do they go?  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Abt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur and Emily Mary Douce - who are they and where do they go?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 November 18 16:25 GMT (UK) »
I suspect the Ruth possibly said she was born in  Woodville to the enumerator,which is 4 miles from Measham and the place where her birth had to be registered.Woodville is 6 miles from Horningglow.

Offline Spiral

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 November 18 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the help. Woodville - for Wood Villaye - yes that makes sense! It supports her parents being Eli Barritt and Ann Rutter and the confusion over county.
Got quite a bit to work on now.

The birth of Henry Castle in 1907 has caught me by suprise. The BMD records I have been using don't give the mother's maiden name before 1911 and I had no idea of another child. I am assuming that John Henry (1895) is Ruth's child due to the baptism record. (Oxfordshire Family History Society; Oxford, Oxfordshire, England; Anglican Parish Registers; Reference Number: PAR217/1/R2/8)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 November 18 19:33 GMT (UK) »
From GRO index. www.gro.gov.uk & freebmd

CASTLE, JOHN  HENRY     BARRITT     1896  D Quarter in OXFORD  Volume 03A  Page 880

CASTLE, GEORGE  EDWARD     BARRITT     1898  J Quarter in ASTON  Volume 06D  Page 215
Deaths Sep 1898    Castle    George Edward    0    Aston    6d   155

Can't find anything likely for Alice (b 1894-ish)

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Spiral

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 November 18 23:05 GMT (UK) »
CASTLE, GEORGE  CHARLES     HORTON     1879  S Quarter in HEADINGTON  Volume 03A  Page 668
CASTLE, CHARLES  JAMES     HORTON     1881  M Quarter in HEADINGTON  Volume 03A  Page 740
CASTLE, ERNEST  HARRY     HORTON     1883  S Quarter in HEADINGTON  Volume 03A  Page 720

I think I can discount these as there was a marriage in 1878 between Charles James Castle and Susan Horton in Headington
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?cite=NHOKhtTxJq5EAHvRUTnQmg&scan=1

But Alice is confounding me. I have looked for Alice Nelson since her age suggests she could be from Ruth's first marriage. I am wondering if she had a complete name change but cannot think where to look now.

Offline Spiral

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 December 18 11:09 GMT (UK) »
I have found a birth record that is interesting
BARRETT, ALICE  MAY     NELSON      1895  D Quarter in ASTON  Volume 06D  Page 206

Do you think that it is possible for the maiden name and married names to get mixed up? Is it worth pursuing this?

Offline Abt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 December 18 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Not worth following sorry
Alice May Barrett 1895 was the daughter of John Barrett and Lavinia (Nelson)

Offline Spiral

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 December 18 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Oh well :-\ Thanks for saving me a lot of work. I just will have to keep looking.

Offline Spiral

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 January 19 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I have just received the Death certificates for
CASTLE, JOHN  HENRY     65     1922  M Quarter in BIRMINGHAM 
and
CASTLE, RUTH       51      1929  J Quarter in KNARESBOROUGH 

The first was indeed for my John Henry but the second was not for his wife (it was a long shot as I couldn't see any reason for her to go to Knaresborough).

John Henry's death was reported by his son John Henry and stated that he was a china ware dealer as in the 1901 census. However it does raise some interesting questions:-
Although he died from chronic bronchitis in The Hospital, Dudley Road it gives his address as 291/2 , Vaughton Street. Looking at the electoral register for this address in 1922 and 1920 only his brother George and his wife Ellen are registered there (Son John Henry and wife Rosina are at a nearby address that matches that on the d.c.).
So what is going on?
I am beginning to wonder if the elder John Henry was travelling on the barges and just using brother George as his address when "on land". There are certainly connections with boatmen as son Henry married the widow of one, Edgar Goldingay, and when niece Ellen was married to Frank Goldingay (brother of Edgar) John and Ruth were the witnesses.

Any suggestions as to where I could investigate further would be welcome

Offline Spiral

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 October 19 16:58 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 census I have John Castle (Husband's grandfather), aged 14, lodging with Arthur Douce(54) and his wife Emily Mary(53) at 4 Back 68 Leopold Street Birmingham.

Having been unable to locate the rest of John's family in 1911 (see https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=804221.msg6624155#msg6624155) I have tried to see if I could find anything via the people he was lodging with only to hit another brick wall. I cannot find this couple anywhere else even though they say they have been married for 28 years and both claim to have been born in Birmingham. I think Arthur claims to be a Slater working for a builder although slater is crossed out and I cannot decipher the following word.

Can any of you clever RootsChatters help me to work out who these people were, where they came from and what happens to them? It may not help sorting out what happened to John's family but then again...