Author Topic: 33 Water St Manchester  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Cloud

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 33 Water St Manchester
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 November 18 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for finding this. I was given the original newspaper cutting by his daughter, my aunt. Looking at the street directory he had customers at the Corporation depot located at the opposite end of the street. There were some lovely pictures of the horse-drawn dust carts on the Images Manchester website recommended by Nanny Jan. And he could buy his raw material (leather) from the abattoir. Thanks for all your help. Best wishes, Yvonne

Offline C B S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 February 20 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I always understood from my dad that the Water Street property was under the railway viaduct and was bombed in the War causing him to take premises in Southern Street which is demolished and two new houses built on the site C B S

Offline C B S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 February 20 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Concerning the newspaper cutting, your aunt the daughter of Joseph must have been my sister Joan I have not seen this but it is not dad but grand-dad. Joan had all the pictures from her mother who died in 1993 - I also have some - I do not have the guardian article from 1956 - the year my dad died C B S

Offline Cloud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 March 20 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin,
Please note we are cousins, we share the same grandfather Joseph Stansfield b1875. This newspaper article is about him. Your father Joseph Stansfield b1901 and my mother are brother and sister. The aunt who gave me the cutting is also a sister of your father.
I think the newspaper article in the Manchester Guardian dated 8th Mar 1956 about your father can be found on "The British Newspaper Archive" website.
Best wishes, Yvonne

Offline C B S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 March 20 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Yvonne I had assumed that one of my fathers brothers was your dad (sorry) I did not know any of my aunts (ie your mum) Did you know that there were 3 generations of chimney sweeps in Salford the son of the last one was a chimney boy - the government banned them - the boy was given an apprenticeship to a collar maker, his son is our grandfather who started Joseph Stansfield & Son. Southern Street was in two three-storey houses with a big sign across both in big letters - my dad moved there during the war after the premises at Water street was bombed. the premises were then under the railway viaduct which was one side of Water St. I helped my dad to make a collar when I was 10, by the way leather was not bought from the abbotoir but from a warehouse in Great Bridgewater St owned by a nice Jewish lady - i went with my dad to buy leather - he and my mum changed the Southern St premises into a leather factory bags briefcases etc. His first wife was Florence, my mum was Edith - Best wishes - please keep in touch and ask all you want. Did you see my writing on Google? Colin C B S