Author Topic: 1911 around Penketh  (Read 1436 times)

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1911 around Penketh
« on: Sunday 25 November 18 17:13 GMT (UK) »
using a c1908 map and the 1911 census, I tried to guess the names of the un-named buildings in an area of Penketh, Great Sankey - how accurate can this process be ?

thank you!

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 around Penketh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 November 18 17:19 GMT (UK) »
how many matching data points do you have?

On a road with a named pub every 5 buildings, it'd be very accurate.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Rainbow Quartz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 December 18 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Ooooh, what an interesting post! I've not been on RootsChat for a while, but I'm now back, hopefully, and I was just browsing when I saw Penketh, and thought I'd have a look. Right in the centre of your map is where I was born and where I lived until 10 years ago! A field belonging to Brookside Farm in 1908, but now Brookside Avenue, and I lived at Brookside House! In the 1960's and until 15/20 years ago the house you have identified as Windleshaw was a shop called Windle Wools. My auntie and uncle used to live opposite Sankey Hall. Sadly both of them, and my mother have now passed away, but they would have known all about this area. Are you local to here?
Jewell - Devon, Cornwall and Manchester
North - Somerset, Devon, Dorset, Cardiff and Warrington
Rowe - Devon, Dorset
Oliver - Somerset

Offline Will Woods

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 May 19 06:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the map and description of the owners. I own Derby House (as seen in the map) It was built in 1895 and the deeds include lots of previous owners.
Its a remarkable place, with lots of character.  We have a well in the garden and theres evidence of an old conservatory.
we've been told that touring musicians have stayed at the house, including Aker Bilk, Jerry Lee Lewis
and some merseybeat groups. At some time it was even an unlicensed taxi rank.
Please get in touch if you have any photographs and information about our house and
area
thanks

Offline Rainbow Quartz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 June 19 12:39 BST (UK) »
Penketh Library have recently posted on Facebook a large number of photographs and other images of Penketh and Great Sankey, as part of Local History Month, which was in May. Among the images was a map showing proposals for a 'garden suburb' development for the area between Old Liverpool Road, Penketh Road and Whittle Brook. All this and much more is available at Penketh Library, or on the Friends of Penketh Library Facebook page. It's well worth a look.
Jewell - Devon, Cornwall and Manchester
North - Somerset, Devon, Dorset, Cardiff and Warrington
Rowe - Devon, Dorset
Oliver - Somerset

Offline doolittle72

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 July 19 20:44 BST (UK) »
What areas are you trying to identify?  I live in Penketh and have some old maps of Penketh and Great Sankey from 1846, 1894 and 1928.