Author Topic: Curious about a B D & M registration number.  (Read 751 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Curious about a B D & M registration number.
« on: Sunday 25 November 18 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

Yesterday I went looking into historical records to see if I could find a birth record, for a Maori gentleman who I was informed died in the 1980’s

I found one near the cut off point who’s details matched what I was looking for, BUT on the face of it should not have been HISTORIC with a registration number of 1976/134,XXX

As his adoptive parents were married in 1914, 1916 would be a historic birth. So a typo ?

But then you have what seems a very large registration number of 6 figures for the year to date registration number.  Could/Would this have been a retrospective one upon the Gentleman attaining the age of 60.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Curious about a B D & M registration number.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 November 18 19:51 GMT (UK) »
A retrospective registration seems likely.  Pension was at what age in the 1970's?

Added: 60 years

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/culture/the-1970s/1974
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 November 18 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, you probably have more experience with the historic records than I. Was not expecting to still be in the house in business hours, but as I am, have advised B D & M by phone that there may be a typo OR is was it a retrospective registration.

Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 November 18 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.

In for a late lunch, and surprise, I have an emailed reply from the department. As we assumed.

It reads:-
-----------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your phone call,

I have checked the birth record 1976/134XXX and can confirm "1976" as part of the registration number is correct.

The reason for the unexpected registration number is that the first part of the registration number (the year) refers to the year in which the event was registered, rather than the year in which the event occurred. While registration usually happens at the same time as the event, in some cases - as with this birth - several years can elapse before registration takes place.

The reason for a later registration date could be:

1          The event was simply registered late     

2          The event was registered again after the initial registration as the information changed e.g. an adoption occurred, or a re-registration - this is usually if the parents married after the birth

3          It was registered as more information became available.

As a search of the database also searches on the date of event, these records are returned if they meet your search criteria and comply with the historical data criteria.

I hope this explains the situation to you.

Yours sincerely,

-----------------------------------------------------------

PS made two edits for privacy reasons.

Alan.

PPS.  SPADES treat as completed when you deam it has had enough exposure.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 November 18 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Alan,

Have you narrowed down the date to find the exact date?

Cheers Janette

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 November 18 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Greetings.

No have not got that far yet. Is a side bar to the 1908 roll and his parent's entry. As there was some discussion as to the year he died, was why I went looking for his birth, and found a registration like I had not experienced before.

Rushing around dodging heavy showers trying to get everything done before the surgery. Hope to get to the archives on Thursday. Once had surgery will be housebound for weeks, and plenty of time to look up the finer points.

Surprised how quickly BDM responded to my contact. Was not expecting that, so went to RC for a second opinion.

Thanks Alan.