Author Topic: 1851 Census conundrum  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1851 Census conundrum
« on: Sunday 25 November 18 21:02 GMT (UK) »
In the 1841 Census of Donington, Lincs., is William Mitchell, (45), a brazier. Also in the household, inter alia, is son Jacob, who in 1844 will marry Harriet Goodyear Lambert; and daughter Harriet, (7), all born in Lincolnshire. I can’t seem to find William in the 1851 Census....unless:

William Mitchell (48), daughter Harriet Mitchell (19), and Rebecca Lambert (28), a lodger, are all residing in Stamford (I think). Admittedly William's age looks wrong and Harriet was born in Northants. OTOH, William is a tinman, so a worker in light metals, like the other (?) William, and he was born in Fosdyke, right in the area with which the 1841 Mitchells were connected. (This 1851 info from I.G.I.- I haven’t seen the original).

Should I go and lie down until sanity returns?
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census conundrum
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 November 18 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Alternatively there is William Mitchel, tinman and brazier, b Stamford c1793, married, lodging with the Borman family in Kirton

HO107, 2098, 95, 28

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 November 18 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I think that William born Fosdyke seems more likely, apart from the age. At least the other census entry shows that a tinman and a brazier can be one and the same individual.

I haven’t found a Fosdyke baptism for William, but suggestively there was a baptism of a William Mitchell, natural son of William Mitchell and Susannah Cole, in 1807 in Algarkirk. This village lies about 2 miles from Fosdyke. It was also the place where Jacob Mitchell son of William was living in 1851.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 November 18 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget that ages can vary between census, especially between 1841 and 1851. In 1851 adult ages where rounded down to the nearest five, for example a 29 year old would show as 25, or a 44 year old as 40. In 1851 and subsequent census the ages were supposed to be the correct age.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 November 18 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Still unclear about the 1851, it may not be there but the following may help.

1841 church st   
Wm Mitchell    45
Ann Mitchell    35
Jacob Mitchell    20
Sarah Mitchell    15
Jno Mitchell    14
Harriet Mitchell    7
Jos Mitchell    11 Mo

William a Brazier on both.

1861 both born Stamford   
William Mitchell    68
Ann Mitchell    59
3 lodgers   

Marriages Lincolnshire father William

Jacob Muse Mitchell   15 Jul 1844 Gosberton -   Harriet Goodyear Lambert
                                                                                       Father Richard Goodyear

Sarah Mitchell   5 Aug 1844   Spalding - James Teggadine

John Mitchell   10 Nov 1845   Braceborough -   Phoebe Anderson

John Mitchell - Widower   14 Jul 1856   Lincoln -   Elizabeth Spain

Harriet Marian Mitchell   23 Dec 1852   Lincoln -   Edward Stimpson

There may be others.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 November 18 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help. I just wonder about the ages of William and Ann. If William was 35 in 1841 and 68 in 1861, he’s aging very rapidly :o

I think I need a break from this family for a while. If only they knew the trouble they would cause down the line. OTOH, at least Jacob’s parents were considerate enough to leave the big clue to his mother’s maiden name.

I wonder whether the phrase “with the consent of all necessary parties” in their 1820 Swineshead marriage reg was just a form of words or would it imply that they were not of full age?

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 November 18 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help. I just wonder about the ages of William and Ann. If William was 435 in 1841 and 68 in 1861, he’s aging very rapidly :o
. . .
(My correction, his wife is the one who is 35)
1841 Census ages were rounded DOWN to nearest 5, so someone listed as 45 could be age 45 - 49. William's age difference in '41 & '61 Census is therefore reasonable, as is his wife's.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 November 18 15:09 GMT (UK) »
WM Mitchell Bapt 25 January 1793, St George, Stamford
Parents JOHN/SARAH

My gut tells me that Anns Parents are Thomas MEWES/Ann TURNER who married 24 Nov 1802

Thomas appears to have remarried 23 Mar 1813 to Mary PINCHBACK, he is down as widowed.

ANN Mewse, Wife of Thomas buried 04 Oct 1811 age 28.

ANNE Muse Bapt 17 Jun 1805 to Thomas/Ann   
Thomas/Ann to have a Son THOMAS Muse Bapt 26 Aug 1807 also.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 November 18 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help. William and Anne from Stamford look pretty compelling, with their ages matching so well with the 1841 Census. There was quite an age gap and if the 1820 marriage I found in Swineshead is theirs (and the bride was rather young and not far from giving birth to son Jacob) might this explain a marriage some way from their home town?