Author Topic: Another one to enhance please  (Read 3674 times)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Another one to enhance please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 August 05 00:13 BST (UK) »
deadants - couldn't get the movie to run either - it started to d/l but then nothing happened.

Hi Keith and newbie,
   The reason you can't get the tutorial to run is most likely because you haven't got quicktime 7.
These .mp4 files use the Apple H.264 video codec. This means you will need Quicktime 7.
The new H.264 codec allows you to watch streaming video at a higher resolution at a much reduced file size.
The little tutorial that I have on the web site goes for 1minute 37 seconds and is only 1.8Mb.
With the old codecs the same file would be the size of a postage stamp and three times the file size.
As you can see in the screen dump below,  the size is large enough to see what the tutorial is about
without straining your eyes and blowing out your download time.

The windows version of Quicktime 7 is a 23.4Mb download but it's well worth the effort. Here's the link. http://tinyurl.com/agtbm
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 August 05 07:22 BST (UK) »
Oh bother!! ::)
I downloaded it the first time, but just didn't run the install, ermm time for coffee? sorry for the stupidity!
Runs perfectly and how nice to hear your voice deadants. A really good quick tutorial on the mask and levels.
Thanks for doing that, all is becoming clearer....slowly.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 August 05 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi newbie,
  Downloading quicktime 7 is a pain but it's worth the trouble. That was my first attempt at this sort of thing, hopefully I will improve.
My brother had a look and he says I tend to go to quick as he was finding it a bit to quick to follow. So any criticisms are welcome.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 August 05 07:56 BST (UK) »
hello deadants,
I watched it 3 times just to make sure I was following it correctly maybe a bit fast but I followed okay, perhaps if you hovered over the selection tool (just a slight delay) so we can see what you are selecting, I watched several times so that I could see the brush size you were using each time, but good I really like tutorials like this, easy to follow, and show a good result

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 August 05 07:57 BST (UK) »
I forgot to say thank you for taking the time to do it for us!
Thank you :-*

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 August 05 08:15 BST (UK) »
I think I should do one on scanning. This photo although it was scanned at 600ppi it has been reduced in pixel depth to reduce file size
which makes the photo look blocky or chunky when you zoom in.

I will redo the mask selection tutorial and hover over the tools as you say and swap it with the one that I have on the web site now.

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 August 05 08:54 BST (UK) »
One on scanning would be great Deadants, I still have to decide on which scanner to buy I was checking them out yesterday I think I'm going to go for the Canon 4200f, 3200 x 6400, there are some on ebay as well.
I tried just now to have another look at your tutorial but I guess you are still working on it, will try later.
I think we've hijacked this thread.....

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 August 05 08:59 BST (UK) »
I think we've hijacked this thread.....

It's all for the greater good. ;D

That Canon sounds great. Does it do Slides? I have the Canon Canoscan 8000f and  it does slides up  to 1200ppi.

Yes I'm still working on the video Tute. I will probably have a replacement up by tommorrow

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 August 05 09:03 BST (UK) »
Yes I think so, think thats what the f stands for. 4200f. the 8400f is about £125.00 the 4200f is about £80, but on ebay at the moment there's one for £63.00 new /refurbished with guarantee
look forward to seeing the new tute then.
I have my tutorials on cd but find them so time consuming I must put aside at least 3 days....I think