Author Topic: Help - are you a FindMyPast.com subscriber (not FindMyPast.co.uk)?  (Read 1844 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Help - are you a FindMyPast.com subscriber (not FindMyPast.co.uk)?
« on: Monday 26 November 18 00:37 GMT (UK) »
...if yes, do you know what happened to World subscription option? I only see the following, which seems to offer Essential British option or Ultimate British and Irish option only (the latter with limited US access too).   ???  My renewal invite email invites me to renew on World subscription basis

**Update: spoke with FindMyPast who have stated the Ultimate British Isles and Irish option is the same as/replacement for the World/Premium option, even though, as I pointed out to them, the description under "what is available with this package",  seems to show a lot less locations/records availability than with a World/Premium package. Has anyone renewed under the new Ultimate British and Irish package name and can confirm they are still able to access all the countries/records they could with their old World/Premium package?

Their own help pages are less than impressive, with a blank space instead of an answer, to the question 'I want to remain on my World subscription...can I? " https://www.findmypast.com/frequently-asked-questions/answer/i-want-to-stay-on-my-current-britain-or-world-subscription-can-i-continue-on-my-current-package  ::)

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help - are you a FindMyPast.com subscriber (not FindMyPast.co.uk)?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 November 18 14:53 GMT (UK) »
.Has anyone renewed under the new Ultimate British and Irish package name and can confirm they are still able to access all the countries/records they could with their old World/Premium package?

Anyone?

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 November 18 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scotmum

I renewed on a World Subscription in June this year. Don't know what will happen next year but I hope they will keep a full access subscription as although my main research is English I have many family members with roots all over the place.

Venelow
Canada

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 November 18 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Was it by 'auto-renew'? If yes, it seems to be that the World sub is still offered to existing subscribers if they auto renew, so you are safe for now.

I can't use auto renew (long story, due to FindMyPast messing up my sub last year), though, and they want me to let my  subscription lapse on renewal date, then take out a new subscription (including a code they have provided for a discount I was entitled to), but if I do this, I have to choose between the new package titles, and despite FindMyPast saying the higher of the two gives me exact same access to the World/Premium level sub I currently have, the description of the new packages doesn't read as if it does.

My other option, I suppose, is to let my current World/Premium sub auto-renew, and then try to get them to refund me the difference between the renewal price advised to me and the actual price I am due to pay with the discount code they supplied, but they are insisting I can do it the way they have suggested (let renewal lapse then start new subscription on new name package), so are unlikely to agree.

I just can't help but feel the new named package isn't the same as the old World/Premium one, hence was looking to see if others have found it to be different. I don't want to find I do it the way they are suggesting and then I'm stuck with an inferior package.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.

If this link will work, it should tell you what is each package......I don't see any options other than the 2 at the moment. Scroll down to see a comparison of the 2.

https://www.findmypast.com/subscribe?isfreetrialrequest=false

I had a previous World sub also but don't remember if it had more than what is currently offered in the upgraded one. I didn't renew it so I guess I'm in the same situation as you now if I want a sub.

PB

Added: looking back at my sub history, it appears that the World sub also included Australia.
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes Scotmum, it was auto renew. I have been a member for several years so I hope they continue this package.

Venelow

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I don't see any specific mention of the 1939 Registry in those Brit subs  ???

This seems to be what's available through an Aussie sub and looks like a World sub is available there.

https://www.findmypast.com.au/subscribe?isfreetrialrequest=false

I wonder if contacting FindMyPast would secure an answer about the World sub issue?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed your update in your original post, scotmum, so I guess it will remain to be seen how things work out. If you take out the higher level sub, could you let us know if it has what they said it would?

PB

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have had a findmypast.com sub since 2014  2012.  I have always had the World Premium one (access to all records). Looking at my sub history, the code has been SUW12. 

I renewed in September of this year (not through auto renew...I always untick that, and wait for the offer to renew from FindMyPast).  My current sub seems to have the same records - I haven't noticed any difference - but it is now called Ultimate British and Irish collection.  I am able to get US census records, US newspapers, the 1939 register etc.  The code is now SUU12. 

RK