Author Topic: Swiss Border Guard-taken before 1917. Who is in the photo?  (Read 891 times)

Offline joybell40

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Swiss Border Guard-taken before 1917. Who is in the photo?
« on: Monday 26 November 18 04:33 GMT (UK) »
One of these men is Johanne von Allmen from Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland.  Deceased 1917 after an illness.  Which one is he?  The only picture brought to the USA of him with his family after his death and nobody left to identify him.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Swiss Border Guard-taken before 1917. Who is in the photo?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 November 18 12:59 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how you would find that out  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 November 18 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joybell and welcome to Rootschat. I have used a Google image match to see if this appears on the internet but had no luck. The only suggestion that I can make is if you look for a matching Family tree for him on Ancestry, you may find other photos of him to compare with your photo of him.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 November 18 16:17 GMT (UK) »
He's the one with the moustache.

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 December 18 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Googling I discovered that there  are still people called Von Allmen in Lauterbrunnen today.  They own the Hotel Silberhorn and have a bakery. Perhaps send a copy of the photo to the hotel and see if the present day Von Allmen Family can help.

Offline joybell40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 December 18 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the suggestions and comments.  I have asked some about the photo but they tell me there are many von Allmen's in the area over the years.  I even thought I found his grave  but they told me bones only stay in the ground 50 years and they bury someone else or something like that since they have limited space and that belongs to another von Allmen with the same name.  I'm still learning.  I will try the hotel although I believe my cousin visits there frequently and may have already asked.  I'll enquire with her as well because we are all looking for answers.