Author Topic: Looking for ancestors of James King born abt 1776 Hants  (Read 1028 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for ancestors of James King born abt 1776 Hants
« on: Monday 26 November 18 11:41 GMT (UK) »
James King was born abt 1776 according to 1841 census. In 1841 he was living in Burton near Christchurch with Elizabeth King (probably his wife Elizabeth nee Barnes). He doesn't appear in 1851, so I think the death of a James King in Christchurch district in Q3 1843 age 67 is him. If age at death is correct it would confirm a birth year about 1776 and the nearest baptism I have found is one on 5 may 1776 in Christchurch s/o Stephen. There is an earlier one for a James s/o Richard but I think birth year is too far out. Can anyone please find anything more about this Stephen King.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for ancestors of James King born abt 1776 Hants
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 November 18 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello LizzieL

There are two baptisms at Christchurch - father Stephen King-no mother named
25 May 1774-Thomas King
05 May 1776-James King.

There are four other baptisms where the only named parent is Stephen King,two at Lymington John in 1772 and Elizabeth in 1777 (she was born 1774) and
two in Ringwood,William in 1797 and James in 1800

I have not managed to work out which Stephen King is the right one as there are several and no  marriages in Christchurch :(

Kim

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for ancestors of James King born abt 1776 Hants
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.
There is a marriage of a Stephen King in Holdenhurst  (near Christchurch) on 25 Sep 1771 to Elizabeth Hookey and a marriage of a Stephen King in Lymington on 5 Jun 1771 to Ann Buckett.

I have found a will for a Stephen King of Holdenhurst dated 1782 in which he mentions a son Stephen and a brother Thomas King residing in Gosport. He mention that Stephen jnr will get some money when he is 21. This makes Stephen jnr too young to be the husband of Elizabeth Hookey and father of James and Thomas. But if the Stephen who made the will is the father of James and Thomas, why aren't they mentioned in the will. Thomas could have died but if the James is my James he was alive until 1843

I have found what appear to be two Stephens buried in 1782 (21 May 1782 at Christchurch Priory and 31 May 1782 at St John The Evangelist Holdenhurst ) but I have found a number of burials of people on the same day in the two churches, so I'm wondering if transcriptions got muddled somehow and it is only one Stephen.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott